les.the.paperman
LostCousins Member
I have, among my DNA matches, one that says that we are 5th-8th cousins. We share the same family name. We've been in touch but can't begin to work out the connection. He has a tree going back more than 12 generations, all in the same county, Northamptonshire.
I can't go back quite so far, at least not on my own family name because of an illegitimacy issue that comes up, but the name is/was quite a common one in Norfolk and Suffolk since the 1600-1700s, especially crossing back and forth across the county boundary, which is the area to which I'm connected. I feel that I should be able to find an interloper at my end but, no luck.
5th-8th cousins connections should surely show up within his 12+ generations but he cannot find anyone that moved eastwards. I can't find anyone at my end that has moved the same direction. Where do we begin? Any ideas?
I can't go back quite so far, at least not on my own family name because of an illegitimacy issue that comes up, but the name is/was quite a common one in Norfolk and Suffolk since the 1600-1700s, especially crossing back and forth across the county boundary, which is the area to which I'm connected. I feel that I should be able to find an interloper at my end but, no luck.
5th-8th cousins connections should surely show up within his 12+ generations but he cannot find anyone that moved eastwards. I can't find anyone at my end that has moved the same direction. Where do we begin? Any ideas?