• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Cost of wills going up

I downloaded my second Will on the 5th December but had not received an email informing me that it was ready to collect. I received an email on the 18th of December informing me that this Will was ready for me to download! I checked and the expiry date for me to download this Will is the 18th of January.

I still have 3 Wills outstanding (ordered on the 8th of November.) I think they are really busy and their site is not working well. I wonder how many other people have Wills outstanding.
 
Yes I agree that contacting them will take them away from scanning our Wills and make the wait longer. We have to wait and hope.
 
I can't say I follow the logic of simply waiting. Why assume they're beavering away and shouldn't be disturbed if their online system isn't working as it should (i.e. their 'Contact Us' system doesn't work)? They'll never know they have a problem and might perhaps clear off on holiday thinking they've cleared the decks!
 
That's very helpful Sue. I'll try them the other side of Christmas, and if they tell me the've had a problem I'll report back here. Many thanks!
 
I received an email today informing me I had a probate document for Eliza WEST to download. When I signed into the probate site I discovered two of my remaining three Wills were ready to download. I was not happy when I discovered my Eliza WEST was not ready as they could not find it! I have sent them an email with a screenshot of the probate index on their site clearly showing Eliza WEST. The other Grant and Will were indeed there for me to download. I now have one outstanding and the Eliza WEST one for them to find.
 
I sent in a "what's happening" note regarding the 5 wills that I am still waiting for since November, and I received this reply :-

Dear customer,
Please accept our apologies for the delay in fulfilling your order(s). We are currently experiencing a backlog of orders and are working hard to get them all processed as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately, as the fee for obtaining grants and wills had been announced to rise from £1.50 to £16 two weeks before the 17th November, we have been inundated with thousands more requests than we normally would.

Your order(s) have not been forgotten and we will endeavour to get them serviced and resolved as soon as possible. You will be notified, usually by an automatic email, as soon as your documents are sorted. We will also be monitoring orders to ensure that you are notified quickly.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,


HMCTS Wills Helpdesk
 
I have received 4 of my 5 wills now. I sent them a screen shot of their index for the one they could not find and they replied within a couple of hours. I have arthritis in my fingers so I sometimes don't tap the keys on my keyboard hard enough leading to missing letters which I usually correct. Unfortunately I missed my error when ordering a will and so Eliza was Eiza. I don't know why they couldn't have pointed that out in the first message. I can of course put in a new order and pay £16. My husband thinks they are being picky.
 
I had a surprise email last night from the probate office saying they had fulfilled my will request which I submitted on 27th October 2025 o_O!!!! And which I had forgotten about, no appology though :( it was not a long will but I did learn the full names of the deceased children . Patience is a virtue they say. :D
 
Back
Top