What follows is conjecture, and to assist understanding I provide a rough diagram which sets out the general area in Somerset where I am sure Ann Green (possibly Mary Ann Green)was born circa 1826-1832 (I have extended the range a little for reasons I will explain later).
Ann at various times in Australia owned to coming from Compton Dundon and another time Somerton. To all intent and purpose they are one and the same. Compton where she was likely born and Somerton here nearest town and possibly where her birth was registered. For Census purposes Langport seems to be the Registration district. High ham is of interest because that was where the Langport Union Workhouse was situated.
Here is the diagram
I found in the 1841 Census an Ann Green (Pauper inmate) living in the Langport Union Workhouse at High Ham. She was aged 9 so an estimated birth year of 1832 (explaining why I extended the birth year range).
Now bear in mind an Ann Green (with a middle name of Sawtell) (
mentioned in my previous post as Sawtree in error) was born 1830 and baptised 19 Dec 1830 in Compton Dundon to a Harriet Green, Spinster ...the birth recorded as illegitimate. Harriet went on to marry a Thomas Sawtell in 1832, hence giving Ann his middle name when having her baptised. So is it not probable that circumstances forced Harriet had to place Ann in the nearby Langport Union Workhouse at High Ham where she is shown in the 1841 Census aged 9 as a pauper inmate?
I cannot -as yet - find another Ann Green that satisfies the birth parameters set within the catchment area shown (circled). Certainly if we open up Somerset to a wider catchment than other possibilities may occur and even more so if we consider she may have been a Mary Ann Green, though I am no longer sure about that.
We know Ann left the UK in September 1849 on the vessel 'Courier' so no chance of finding her in an 1851 Census. Also from notes on the Passenger List that she had a job to go to (Milk Maid) and the name of her employer; which speaks volumes. Who could arrange this but a Union Workhouse and maybe assist with paying her passage or have liaised with Australian authorities with regards to subsidising the cost of her passage? (It would likely be cheaper in the long run anyway. Food for thought perhaps?