jorghes
LostCousins Superstar
My Christmas card from one of my maternal cousins who knows I research our mutual branch of the family tree included a conundrum.
I wanted to see what the venerable brains of this forum thought about this before I offer what I think may be the explanation to my cousin.
Our mutual ancestor William Williams was born in about 1832 in Newport, Monmouth, he possibly married Ann Jenkins around 1860 (I say possibly, as I have never managed to find a marriage for them both), she was born in approximately 1828 in Glamorgan (presumably Cardiff though unconfirmed).
My cousin sent me the 1871 census entry for them, which has them living at 20 Baldwin St in Newport with four children:
William H Turner, 9
Charlotte A William, 6
Frederick A Turner, 4
Joseph W Turner, 1
All the children are listed as being born in Newport.
The boys match the names and ages of their children:
William Henry (1862), Frederick Augustus (1867) and Joseph (1870); they didn't have a daughter Charlotte, however they did have a daughter, Elizabeth Ann, born in 1862, which would match "Charlotte A". There is also possibly an older daughter, born about 1860/1861 called Mary Jane.
They appear on the 1881 census together at 4 Robert St, Newport, with their children as follows:
Wm. Henry, 19
Elizabeth Ann, 16
Fredk. Augustus, 14
Joseph, 11
(as a side note, I just noticed that in the same house in 1881 lived Benjamin Thomas and his wife Mary Jane with daughter Louisa... may need to investigate this!)
By 1891, they are living at 46 Robert St with two children:
Frederick Augusta, 24
Joseph, 21
and a grandson, another William Henry, aged 7.
I have searched the GRO and can't find a matching set of "Turner" children for the ages given, although I have a set of Williams children with a Jenkins mother for William Henry, Elizabeth Ann, Frederick Augustus and Joseph (And a possible for Mary Jane). I have both William Henry & Elizabeth Ann's birth registers and have ordered those for Frederick and Joseph just to confirm.
I believe that the 1871 census record is a very strange error, giving the children a "Turner" surname as opposed to "Williams", though I can't explain how it occurred.
I have not found William or his wife Ann Jenkins on any earlier censuses than 1871, though I probably should be able to find them as a married couple in 1861.
Ann died in 1895, and William appears on the 1901 census at 3 Robert St, with Benjamin Thomas & Mary Jane.
I don't know where or when William died (difficult to find the right William Williams in Wales...), but I haven't discovered him, as yet, in 1911.
Would I be right in suggesting to my cousin that the 1871 census is a rather strange anomaly? Or is there another explanation?
I wanted to see what the venerable brains of this forum thought about this before I offer what I think may be the explanation to my cousin.
Our mutual ancestor William Williams was born in about 1832 in Newport, Monmouth, he possibly married Ann Jenkins around 1860 (I say possibly, as I have never managed to find a marriage for them both), she was born in approximately 1828 in Glamorgan (presumably Cardiff though unconfirmed).
My cousin sent me the 1871 census entry for them, which has them living at 20 Baldwin St in Newport with four children:
William H Turner, 9
Charlotte A William, 6
Frederick A Turner, 4
Joseph W Turner, 1
All the children are listed as being born in Newport.
The boys match the names and ages of their children:
William Henry (1862), Frederick Augustus (1867) and Joseph (1870); they didn't have a daughter Charlotte, however they did have a daughter, Elizabeth Ann, born in 1862, which would match "Charlotte A". There is also possibly an older daughter, born about 1860/1861 called Mary Jane.
They appear on the 1881 census together at 4 Robert St, Newport, with their children as follows:
Wm. Henry, 19
Elizabeth Ann, 16
Fredk. Augustus, 14
Joseph, 11
(as a side note, I just noticed that in the same house in 1881 lived Benjamin Thomas and his wife Mary Jane with daughter Louisa... may need to investigate this!)
By 1891, they are living at 46 Robert St with two children:
Frederick Augusta, 24
Joseph, 21
and a grandson, another William Henry, aged 7.
I have searched the GRO and can't find a matching set of "Turner" children for the ages given, although I have a set of Williams children with a Jenkins mother for William Henry, Elizabeth Ann, Frederick Augustus and Joseph (And a possible for Mary Jane). I have both William Henry & Elizabeth Ann's birth registers and have ordered those for Frederick and Joseph just to confirm.
I believe that the 1871 census record is a very strange error, giving the children a "Turner" surname as opposed to "Williams", though I can't explain how it occurred.
I have not found William or his wife Ann Jenkins on any earlier censuses than 1871, though I probably should be able to find them as a married couple in 1861.
Ann died in 1895, and William appears on the 1901 census at 3 Robert St, with Benjamin Thomas & Mary Jane.
I don't know where or when William died (difficult to find the right William Williams in Wales...), but I haven't discovered him, as yet, in 1911.
Would I be right in suggesting to my cousin that the 1871 census is a rather strange anomaly? Or is there another explanation?