Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
After a quite long search to try to discover if a Coal Mining ancestor had died (in his 40's) because of his involvement in a Mining Accident/Disaster I came across a most interesting Site 'The Coalmining History Resource Centre'. As well as covering the subject I needed to research -accidents/disasters - it offers a wealth of other information all relating to Coalmining in the 18th Century onwards. You will find it here Coalmining.
My own research is still on-going, but if any site will yield the information I seek, it is this one. Its Database: 'National Database of Mining Deaths in Great Britain from 1700' (containing 164,000 records) is simply quite mind boggling, not to mention very, very sad. You can search (CTL+F) by various criteria: ancestor names; year periods, location areas or, if known, the name of the Pit itself. Or just scroll down until you come across the period in question and seek out the Pit areas of interest.
If still lacking details then I suggest you 'Google' the name of the Pit and year of the Accident/Disaster (as I am doing) -or check Newspapers archives online (perhaps FMP) to uncover even more details.
My own research is still on-going, but if any site will yield the information I seek, it is this one. Its Database: 'National Database of Mining Deaths in Great Britain from 1700' (containing 164,000 records) is simply quite mind boggling, not to mention very, very sad. You can search (CTL+F) by various criteria: ancestor names; year periods, location areas or, if known, the name of the Pit itself. Or just scroll down until you come across the period in question and seek out the Pit areas of interest.
If still lacking details then I suggest you 'Google' the name of the Pit and year of the Accident/Disaster (as I am doing) -or check Newspapers archives online (perhaps FMP) to uncover even more details.