raven
LostCousins Member
I was remembering recently just how passionately my grandfather was into his football (soccer), which led me to wonder about the possibility of clubs keeping old records of players (and associated people).
My grandfather and his family left England for NZ when he was a baby, but because he loved football (as a local-team player as well as a tv fan of English games) I wonder whether this was picked up from his ancestors. I don't recall ever hearing whether his father played, but does anyone think it is possible that clubs might have any old records/photos/etc?
In this instance I am talking pre-1920's, but there were cousins around still in the 1940s so its possible that at least one of them was into the sport.
I know from our local historical society records we have documents from now-defunct clubs and societies (etc) - one day I am hoping to transcribe these as I'm sure they will contain snippets of research gold. Would it perhaps be more likely that any archival material would be held by the local historical society or museum, rather than the club (if indeed it still exists today)?
My grandfather and his family left England for NZ when he was a baby, but because he loved football (as a local-team player as well as a tv fan of English games) I wonder whether this was picked up from his ancestors. I don't recall ever hearing whether his father played, but does anyone think it is possible that clubs might have any old records/photos/etc?
In this instance I am talking pre-1920's, but there were cousins around still in the 1940s so its possible that at least one of them was into the sport.
I know from our local historical society records we have documents from now-defunct clubs and societies (etc) - one day I am hoping to transcribe these as I'm sure they will contain snippets of research gold. Would it perhaps be more likely that any archival material would be held by the local historical society or museum, rather than the club (if indeed it still exists today)?