• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Chapman Codes of the World

Jennie

LostCousins Member
Used mainly in genealogy from the mid 1970s, a Chapman Code is an individual set of three letters given to nearly all UK counties and worldwide countries which conveniently replace all lengthy writing and/or typing of these names. I have always found them a bonus when printing off charts, family trees, etc as the width of a column can be really shortened, e.g. BKM = Buckinghamshire, or NTH = Northamptonshire. This is the site I use: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mgfhs/chapman.htm

I must add that the Chapman Codes are not recognised by the Royal Mail, UK and they are missing for some places and countries, but for me, compared with the benefits gained, a small price to pay.
 
I'm not a fan of Chapman Codes - does anyone who began their research in the Internet age use them?

Also, the site Jennie linked to describes Avon,Humberside and Greater Manchester as ancient counties. On that basis I'm a dinosaur!
 
Used mainly in genealogy from the mid 1970s, a Chapman Code is an individual set of three letters given to nearly all UK counties and worldwide countries which conveniently replace all lengthy writing and/or typing of these names. I have always found them a bonus when printing off charts, family trees, etc as the width of a column can be really shortened, e.g. BKM = Buckinghamshire, or NTH = Northamptonshire. This is the site I use: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mgfhs/chapman.htm

I must add that the Chapman Codes are not recognised by the Royal Mail, UK and they are missing for some places and countries, but for me, compared with the benefits gained, a small price to pay.
I don't use it, if I add a county then I use the shortened version, like Herts, Beds and Bucks.
I also avoid using paper and just use software and the internet, so I use Copy and Paste an awful lot!!
I scan any paperwork I get.
 
Good point, Peter, hadn't noticed those areas! Guess I favour them because I know them - my chosen subject for a possible appearance on Mastermind :)
 
I don't use it, if I add a county then I use the shortened version, like Herts, Beds and Bucks.
I also avoid using paper and just use software and the internet, so I use Copy and Paste an awful lot!!
I scan any paperwork I get.

Seriously, Tim and Peter, with my large database, I find it regularises place names very efficiently, it's quick and reduces overall total content on reports. I first started using it when I was inputting info into my family tree software and still find that just by copying and pasting there is often a wide variety of the actual shortening of county names which my 'sort' facility couldn't and still can't handle. All this was started in the internet age, along-side of computer speak and now its close relative, txt speak.
 
Hmm I must look at adding support for these codes to my family history analyser tool. As has been said most people will probably these days rely on cut n paste or better yet their family history software auto completing location names. Still if its relatively widespread it may be useful for me to add to the tool so that people who use that structure can automate their searches too.
 
I too use Hants, Salop, Bucks etc and never use a country name unless it is outside England, though I do use NRY, ERY and WRY if I can identify the specific area of Yorks/Yks. This system helps me to identify my own research when correspondents are trying to pass off my work as their own! However, it confuses Ancestry!
 
Back
Top