SueMay
LostCousins Member
It's always interesting how as youngsters we were never really interested in our ancestors even though our grandparents and parents tried hard to tell us all aobut them. It is only later that we then regret having not paid attention at the time. During the 1970's my mother, while still living in South Africa, started researching both her and my father's ancestors. At the time there wasn't the internet and after speaking with family, borrowing photos to make copies, reading old letters, etc. she then approached museums, records departments, etc. When my parents divorced in the mid 1980's she gave each of her four children a folder with copies of all the research she'd done. I am the only daughter and don't know what my brother's did with theirs but mine followed me as life took it course and when I married my husband in 1999 (almost 30 years later!) I decided to take a look at it and transfer all the information onto a specially designed genealogy program. Well, the rest is history... I was hooked and have since added many, many more ancestors which I'm sure she would've found very interesting. I am now the one everyone turns to when they need to know anything about the family. I've even helped many of my nephews, neices and cousin's children with school projects.