• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Capital letters in the middle of surnames

Pauline

LostCousins Megastar
I noticed recently that when entering a surname with a capital letter in the middle, McPhun for example, that when you add or save the entry the surname auto-corrects to lose the middle capital - Mcphun.

I'm guessing this won't matter for matching entries as the same thing will happen to everyone but I thought I'd mention it.
 
I only have one instance of such a capital letter in the middle of a name, ie McClure, but that is a middle name rather than a surname. In this case the capitalization was not lost and there have been no matches so far.
 
I haven’t tried with a middle name, and this is the first time I’ve entered a surname with a capital letter in the middle.

In fact, with the 1881 census, the surname has been mistrancribed to include a space - Mc Phun - and entering it exactly as transcribed, the middle capital doesn’t auto- correct. It only happened when entering it without the space.
 
I used CNTL-F to search for instances of "Mc" in my list of entered ancestors on My Ancestors page. Now I have repeated the search for the double characters "O'" as in the surname O'Brien and found 9 instances of which 6 are matched. The character "B" remained as a capital letter in all instances.

I do not have any Scottish names beginning with "Mac" nor Welsh surnames beginning "Ap" as in ApSimon. Are there any other combinations that one should be looking for?
 
The 2 O'Briens on My Ancestors have retained the capital B, but all the Mc and Mac surnames have the middle capital altered to lower case - with one exception. McMeekan is italicised because I have corrected the surname from a wrongly transcribed version.
 
McMeekan is italicised because I have corrected the surname from a wrongly transcribed version.
Yes, I discovered the same with the additional 'corrected' fields below.

The auto-correct feature in the main fields is generally very useful and definitely speeds up entering names - I wouldn't want to be without it!
 
All my 'McSomethings' have the 'S' as a small letter except, as Pauline also found, a mistranscribed one with a space - Mc Laughlin.
 
Back
Top