• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Can this be a connection to my unknown grandfather?

If the Elizabeth Joyce and her father James Joyce are not those in your tree, then this hint may well be a case of mistaken identity. Joyce is not an uncommon surname and the hint is not telling you that John Francis Attwood and Gertrude Webster are related to you, it is simply raising the possibility for you to investigate further.

I would put this FamilySearch hint to one side for now and focus instead on the Websters in your DNA matches to see if they might lead you to your unknown grandfather. You do at least know these 'DNA Websters' are related to you somehow.

I will be checking out the DNA Arthur's siblings to see if one of them could be the culprit.
 
I will be checking out the DNA Arthur's siblings to see if one of them could be the culprit.
There are other surnames in Christopher’s tree to follow up on too, not just the Websters. Or, from the matches you share with him, does it look like the Websters are the most likely link between them?
 
Christopher Brent Webster was born in 1977, so from that you can get a better idea of what the relationship is likely to be. If your Dad was born in 1908, then you're likely to be at least one generation older than CBW, which eliminates many of the possible relationships in the chart.
 
Christopher Brent Webster was born in 1977, so from that you can get a better idea of what the relationship is likely to be. If your Dad was born in 1908, then you're likely to be at least one generation older than CBW, which eliminates many of the possible relationships in the chart.
I agree, but you do need to be a little bit careful here. One of my DNA matches is the granddaughter of my 3rd cousin, so 2 generations below me, but she is only 14 years my junior and went to school with her grandmother's first cousins.
 
I agree, but you do need to be a little bit careful here. One of my DNA matches is the granddaughter of my 3rd cousin, so 2 generations below me, but she is only 14 years my junior and went to school with her grandmother's first cousins.
Indeed, one has to take every possibility into account - but there are plenty of impossibilities that can be eliminated, especially since we can see Christopher's family tree.
 
Instead of having just Unknown listed as my paternal grandfather, I changed it to Unknown Webster and today have found someone more possible. One of Christopher's great uncles was not living in Norfolk in either 1901 or 1911 but in Walthamstow. I Googled it compared to Woodford, where my grandmother was sent to work and they appear to be quite close. This uncle was born in 1867, which is why I did not look further last month, but today I looked at his family. He had many children but two sons were of the same age as Anne, my grandmother. Twins born in 1889 and one in 1891, the same year as Anne. One twin died during WW1 and the other in 1919 so nothing further on them, at least no little leaves beside their names. Also, once I added Webster to the Unknown I got a common ancestor match to C.W., listing Unknown as my paternal grandfather, and both his father and the uncle with the same father. Not knowing which of the twins or the other son was probably my grandfather, I will have to just leave it as Unknown, but I can add his father to my tree.
 
Back
Top