• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Can anyone help with a translation from Czech?

Nick Wilkinson

New Member
My G3Grandfather set up a fez-making business in Strakonice, Bohemia - now the Czech Republic. I have received a photo copied section of a book in Czech which covers a lot of relevant ground for me with the only problem that I don't read or write Czech. I have tried using Google translate but there are too many problems with inadequate translations. Is there anyone out there who can help with a translation of 8 pages?
Many thanks in advance.
 
Welcome to the forum Nick, sorry I cannot help you but hopefully someone may be able to, good luck.
 
Hi Carol. Thanks for the suggestion; unfortunately Google - and other online translation sites - come up with too many obscure translations and non-grammatical wording that leaves me with trying to guess which of two opposing meanings is correct. Hence my request for a human interface. :(:)
 
I have two German friends; would that language be close enough to help? If I remember correctly, one recently mentioned that she grew up near the southeastern border but was still in the western part after the wall. (married a Canadian soldier in the '60s)
 
I have two German friends; would that language be close enough to help? If I remember correctly, one recently mentioned that she grew up near the southeastern border but was still in the western part after the wall. (married a Canadian soldier in the '60s)
I'm afraid not. I am reasonably fluent in German and it is nothing like Czech; German belongs to the germanic language group while Czech is part of the slavic group along with Russian, Serbian etc.
Thanks anyway.
 
Czech is part of the slavic group along with Russian, Serbian etc.
Polish is not too far removed from Czech, so maybe someone here knows someone who speaks Polish. I don't know about other parts of the world but there is a fairly significant Polish community in the UK, though not all will still speak Polish. My husband has a limited knowledge of Russian but not enough to get much of use out of 8 pages of Czech, I'm afraid.
 
Back
Top