kiwilong
LostCousins Member
Does anybody know about marriages not sanctioned by the Church of England in the mid 1800s?
James Poyner (piner sometimes) married my 1st cousin3x removed, Emma Long, in the parish church of Mells, Somerset, on the 7th June 1870. However Emma died in the June quarter of 1871.
Don't have the certificate so cause unknown, child birth perhaps, but doesn't appear to be any child, dead or otherwise.
James then arranged to marry my 2nd great aunt and Emma's cousin, Lavinia Jane Long, on the 29th December 1874 in the same church. The entry in the parish register is not complete, unsigned and crossed out.
The marriage seems to have taken place on the same date, 29th December 1874 but in the registration district of Clutton which does not include Mells.
I think it was a civil marriage and did proceed resulting in several children.
So, I wonder if the couple had made arrangements with the Mells church minister who prepared the entry in the register and then discovered the relationship between the two brides.
The information I have seen does not appear to prohibit such a marriage in the church, can anybody throw any light on this for me?
Thanks
kiwilong.
James Poyner (piner sometimes) married my 1st cousin3x removed, Emma Long, in the parish church of Mells, Somerset, on the 7th June 1870. However Emma died in the June quarter of 1871.
Don't have the certificate so cause unknown, child birth perhaps, but doesn't appear to be any child, dead or otherwise.
James then arranged to marry my 2nd great aunt and Emma's cousin, Lavinia Jane Long, on the 29th December 1874 in the same church. The entry in the parish register is not complete, unsigned and crossed out.
The marriage seems to have taken place on the same date, 29th December 1874 but in the registration district of Clutton which does not include Mells.
I think it was a civil marriage and did proceed resulting in several children.
So, I wonder if the couple had made arrangements with the Mells church minister who prepared the entry in the register and then discovered the relationship between the two brides.
The information I have seen does not appear to prohibit such a marriage in the church, can anybody throw any light on this for me?
Thanks
kiwilong.