Susan48
LostCousins Superstar
Peter's most recent newsletter comments on the high cost of subscriptions to the Essex Record Office. I decided to take out a twelve month subscription so that I could dip in and out of the parish records and search a few pages at a time which suits me better than spending long periods in front of a screen. Also, the records I want to look at have not yet been transcribed - for understandable reasons once you look at them!
One of the advantages of searching digital images of parish records rather than transcriptions is that burial entries for the late 1600s include affidavits that the deceased were buried in woollen. The oaths were usually sworn by someone who knew the deceased, often a relative. The affidavits are, I believe, rarely transcribed and so the additional information contained in them is lost unless you look at the original. Wikipedia has a brief but useful summary of the Acts and their enforcement.
One of the advantages of searching digital images of parish records rather than transcriptions is that burial entries for the late 1600s include affidavits that the deceased were buried in woollen. The oaths were usually sworn by someone who knew the deceased, often a relative. The affidavits are, I believe, rarely transcribed and so the additional information contained in them is lost unless you look at the original. Wikipedia has a brief but useful summary of the Acts and their enforcement.