As you probably know, the place of burial wasn't shown on New Zealand death certificates until 1875, so as these deaths occurred in 1866 and 1870 it's likely to be just as difficult finding the burial places as it would be in England (where even today the place of burial isn't given - indeed you wouldn't even know from the death certificate whether the person was buried or cremated).
There are three things I'd suggest:
identify the local cemeteries from using a Google search then look for online transcriptions/indexes; check the websites of the cemeteries
look in the local newspapers for death announcements - these were more common in the 19th century than they are today
look at later (post-1875) death certificates for other family members to see where they were buried - you may well find, as I did when I tracked down some of my ancestors' graves recently (see Visiting the graves of my ancestors), that there are other relatives buried in the same plot
Hope this helps - and for the benefit of those who don't live in New Zealand perhaps you'd like to post details of the main New Zealand resources that you use on the More New Zealand resources page which I've just created?
If he isn't in the Christchurch City database and he did live in Christchurch, then the best place to start checking is in the Barbadoes Street cemetery records - that's the oldest cemetery in the city and not in the database. Many larger New Zealand libraries will have a copy of the transcripts from there on microfiche (check the catalogue for 'New Zealand Cemetery Records').
I would like to take you up on your offer to do a lookup on your NZSG burial locator, if I may, please. I am looking for Stanley Livingstone Mark, who died in 1932, probably in Christchurch, and his wife Ruby Elizabeth who died in 1967. This is the one thing I miss about not living in Christchurch any more!! I have looked up all of the on line cemetery sites that I know of for Christchurch and Canterbury, without any luck.
Your help (if you have some spare time) would be greatly appreciated (and sorry if I am posting in the wrong place - just thought I would piggyback on the previous request).
Raven,
Thank you so much for this, please can you look up the following person on the burial locator
James Liddle REID, died Aug 1924 King Country. Would like to know where he is buried?
Hello jenata,
You've probably got the information by now, but in case not, there was a James Little (sic) Reid, age 69, buried at Raurimu Cemetery (which is in the King country). This cemetery is administered by Ruapehu District Council which does not have records online, but possibly might reply to an email request for further details.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.