I never experienced that. I did not have any problems at all with the old message system.I found that messages were disappearing under the old system
You were lucky. I've now got messages going all the way back to 2010 (when I switched to a different account) which had vanished under the old system.I never experienced that. I did not have any problems at all with the old message system.
So how will you feel if one (or many) of the contacts deletes everything they said?I've now got messages going all the way back to 2010
For all I know that might be why some of the messages disappeared in the past - that's certainly what I assumed at the time.So how will you feel if one (or many) of the contacts deletes everything they said?
As that is the way it seems to work.
I think the new one is even worse.the old system was rubbish.
The issue of deleting messages is a thorny one - my guess is that Ancestry are doing their best to comply with data protection legislation, and you can't fault them for that. As I had several messages disappear under the old system, and so far don't seem to have lost any under the new system, I'm obviously a big fan of the new system. Indeed, I now have back some of the older messages that were previously lost to me.I think the new one is even worse.
That's all very well but up until now I have used the email advice and filed that in my Microsoft Outlook filing system.it's really easy to copy them into a Word document that can be attached to a family tree or filed separately
Data protection law doesn't work like that, at least, not in Europe - in most circumstances companies are obliged to delete personal information from their servers on request even if nobody can see it.As far as I am concerned, NOBODY should have the ability to remove messages from things in my Inbox and I consider it to be a huge flaw in the system.
I fail to see how it can be for privacy reasons because only the participants can see the messages.
I can see messages I sent to one close cousin who has never replied: I sent them on 2 Oct 18, 5 Feb 20, and 4 Jun 20. However Ancestry don't show messages I sent prior to October 2018, of which there were at least three (judging from a note to myself which reads "latest reminder sent 30/3/18")..When I first received my Ancestry DNA results, back in October 2018, if I remember correctly, I was excited to see a very close match so sent that person a message. That message is no longer there and he/she never replied. Two or three others that I sent are also not there and I received no reply to those either. More recent messages do have the entire conversation, so perhaps Ancestry decided to delete those which were never answered. I wonder if they still appear in the inbox of those people though.
Bob, the difference is probably because you're new to DNA.So now I come to the bit about messages disappearing, not being able to find archived messages, so on and so forth. What is all that about? I cannot recall ever wanting to delve back to seek out someone I messaged 6 months ago, or a year or more. If the exchange is significant I will record such in my Tribal Pages, or know how to get in touch via email.