Britjan
LostCousins Star
A somewhat grandiose title I admit but I have just promised myself that I will read the first volume of David Kynaston's series, "Tales of New Jerusalem" . On no less recommendation than Nick Hornby ( his book "Fever Pitch" and the first film of it made in 1997 are among my favourites ) I am flexing my muscles to tackle "Austerity Britain , 1945-1951" at about 700 pages. Here is a description from my public library's website.
"Coursing through Austerity Britain is an astonishing variety of voices - vivid, unselfconscious, and unaware of what the future holds. A Chingford housewife endures the tribulations of rationing; a retired schoolteacher observes during a royal visit how well-fed the Queen looks; a pernickety civil servant in Bristol is oblivious to anyone's troubles but his own. An array of working-class witnesses describe how life in post-war Britain is, with little regard for liberal niceties or the feelings of their 'betters'."
If anyone has read it please wade in and comment or recommend something else which is not too scholarly for the average reader. I have read a great deal of fiction from this time period and as a film fan have my favourites but I haven't tackled much non-fiction.
I'll leave it to others to also comment on a fiction book or film that they believe paints a realistic picture of Britain in that era or perhaps venture into another and then we can have some sub groups under a general theme.
"Coursing through Austerity Britain is an astonishing variety of voices - vivid, unselfconscious, and unaware of what the future holds. A Chingford housewife endures the tribulations of rationing; a retired schoolteacher observes during a royal visit how well-fed the Queen looks; a pernickety civil servant in Bristol is oblivious to anyone's troubles but his own. An array of working-class witnesses describe how life in post-war Britain is, with little regard for liberal niceties or the feelings of their 'betters'."
If anyone has read it please wade in and comment or recommend something else which is not too scholarly for the average reader. I have read a great deal of fiction from this time period and as a film fan have my favourites but I haven't tackled much non-fiction.
I'll leave it to others to also comment on a fiction book or film that they believe paints a realistic picture of Britain in that era or perhaps venture into another and then we can have some sub groups under a general theme.