Thought I'd share a DNA success story.
My mum was illegitimate, and not told who her father was. I'd long given up any hope of finding out out who he was.
I got my DNA tested about 3 years ago, more out of curiosity than any real hope of tracing him. I was a bit shocked, and extremely surprised, to find that Ancestry assessed my ethnicity as (initially) 19% Ashkenazi Jewish, from the Poland/Latvia/Lithuania region. None of the research I'd already done had indicated anything other than English/Scottish roots. It's since been revised to 22%, which indicates probably one Jewish grandparent.
I managed to identify matches to 5 out of 8 great grandparents fairly quickly and as I expected there was no sign of any AJ.
One of my grandmothers, who lived in London, remained a mystery for a long time - no identifiable matches to her father. I wondered if there was an NPE here, as I have several matches I can't place anywhere in my tree.
My closest matches with any AJ were 3 around the 2nd or 3rd cousin mark but didn't have trees. I've found many if not most people with Jewish heritage are only interested in having this confirmed, and aren't interested in their family tree and especially don't want to connect with distant cousins of mixed heritage. I have thousands of matches on the Jewish line but most are below 60cM, too far away to be much use, so this got put on the backburner for a while.
Long story short, I uploaded my DNA to MyHeritage and got a hit in the half 1C-2C range. Not much of a tree, so I set about constructing one. He didn't respond initially, and still hasn't given me any information, but at least I know he's alive. I've not wanted to pester him without something more concrete to go on.
But I could work out he connected via my mother's line - his grandfather's family were in the same place as my grandmother's at the same time, so this has nothing to do with my London grandmother.
As if all the pieces fell into place at the same time, I finally got a match to my London great grandfather on MyHeritage proving the paper trail is correct after all. Two generations of small families means not many cousins available to test.
And I finally got a response from one of the 2nd-3rd cousins on Ancestry with no tree. She's the administrator of the account but has been extremely generous sharing her knowledge. Turns out the DNA I match is her daughter-in-law, and the other two good Ancestry matches are her granddaughter and her daughter-in-law's sister. She didn't know much abut this Jewish line either, so between us we have constructed the tree back another couple of generations. It wasn't easy going as there were three separate families involved who all changed their names in the early 1940's. Thank goodness for the 1939 register cross-referencing the names. I found our link and identified our mutual great grandparents. They were from Lithuania, and married in Leeds in 1892. She also uploaded DIL's DNA to MyHeritage (with her permission) and this confirmed she is 2nd cousin to my match, as expected.
And if you've managed to follow all that, you'll know how my brain feels!
I still can't put a name to my mystery grandfather, but I've narrowed it down to one of three brothers. I know which one I favour. I managed to track down the descendants of one of the brothers and made contact with a lady who is his daughter. She has given me a lot of information about her father. Without me suggesting it, she has volunteered to do a DNA test! Hopefully this will finally confirm my suspicions one way or the other.