JamesW
LostCousins Member
My g2grandfather, John Henry Adams, was born in 1807 according to all the records I have seen including censuses and Royal Navy lists. The overwhelming concensus of all the records is that he was born in Fareham, Hampshire.
So I went looking for him in the Fareham baptism registers but could only find an entry for John Henry Atkins on 29 Mar 1807 in St Peter and Paul parish, Fareham. His parents were Thomas and Catherine. Searching the baptismal register backwards and forwards from this date, I found four other children born to Thomas and Catherine Adams but no others born to Thomas and Catherine Atkins. I concluded that John Henry Atkins was most likely my John Henry Adams since I had strong reason to believe he should be there, there were no other Atkins births in the parish, making this one somewhat anomalous, and Atkins is a diminutive form of Adams.
Then recently a search at FamilySearch turned up a John Monny Adams, baptized 29 Mar 1807 in St Peter and Paul, Fareham. This record was in the Bishop's Transcripts. I went to the local FHL to see the original record and, lo and behold, it was for John Henry Adams. "Monny" is a transcription error for "Henry" which is somewhat obscurely written. It appears the person who prepared the BT recognized that the register entry was inaccurate and gave the Bishop the correct information.
Here are snips of the two entries so you can see for yourself.
Parish Register
Bishop's Transcript
So I went looking for him in the Fareham baptism registers but could only find an entry for John Henry Atkins on 29 Mar 1807 in St Peter and Paul parish, Fareham. His parents were Thomas and Catherine. Searching the baptismal register backwards and forwards from this date, I found four other children born to Thomas and Catherine Adams but no others born to Thomas and Catherine Atkins. I concluded that John Henry Atkins was most likely my John Henry Adams since I had strong reason to believe he should be there, there were no other Atkins births in the parish, making this one somewhat anomalous, and Atkins is a diminutive form of Adams.
Then recently a search at FamilySearch turned up a John Monny Adams, baptized 29 Mar 1807 in St Peter and Paul, Fareham. This record was in the Bishop's Transcripts. I went to the local FHL to see the original record and, lo and behold, it was for John Henry Adams. "Monny" is a transcription error for "Henry" which is somewhat obscurely written. It appears the person who prepared the BT recognized that the register entry was inaccurate and gave the Bishop the correct information.
Here are snips of the two entries so you can see for yourself.
Parish Register
Bishop's Transcript