• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Birth certificate anomaly

Andrea

LostCousins Member
I have just received a birth certificate for a relative born 9 October 1914. Her birth was not registered until 22 June 1928 - 14 years later. In the "when registered" column (column 8), the handwritten text reads "Twenty second June 1928 on the Authority of the Registrar General". I'm quite comfortable in understanding that his permission to register the birth after such a long period of time was required. What I do not understand is the typed notation I92, which appears (partly obliterated) under the word "Registrar". Can anyone explain what I92 refers to?

Many thanks.
Andrea
 
Andrea,

Cannot answer your direct question, but is this a "re-registration" for a change of name? This would have a forward reference of the type "See 1928/J" for the name in 1914 (or possibly 1915).

Phil
 
Thanks Phil - I think you may be correct as to change of name (or possibly mother's name). I'll buy the earlier certificate and see whether that clarifies things.

Thanks again
Andrea
 
I'll buy the earlier certificate and see whether that clarifies things.
Beware - if you try to order the earlier certificate they will send you the new one - that's one reason why they have a forward reference in the index. You would have to specifically request a copy of the original entry, and I imagine they will only be prepared to provide an uncertified copy.
 
Back
Top