Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
As I found My Heritage the stuff of nightmares long ago, to say I was alarmed to see Legacy extolling the virtues of a tie in with My Heritage, and enough to bring me out in a cold sweat.
A few months ago, after sounding out the Forum for a recommendation for a replacement for my old trusted Family Tree legends (FTL) -now obsolete - I settled on Legacy. To be fair even in the short space of time of using, I have come to accept Legacy and indeed recently updated to Legacy 9.0. Then today I receive an email from Legacy citing the experiences of a Webinar between Legacy & My Heritage...concluding:
..."Since the webinar and with my recent personal discoveries with MyHeritage, I believe MyHeritage is quickly becoming the next big thing for genealogists. It has been for me...Geoff Rasmussen, Legacy developer and host of Family TreeWebinars.com.."
Followed by:
..."Now that Legacy 9 provides both Record Matches to My Heritage's historic records and Smart Matches to their online trees, this is the time for you, too, to give (Legacy 9.0) it a try..."
The email then offers (Legacy Users) a 40% off 'MyHeritage Data Plan for just $89.55 which expires Sunday night, June 4.
People who have not experienced MyHeritage historical records -at the latest count 7.7 billion of names - will I am sure be tempted. Why wouldn't they as it offers access to the world's greatest FH Database, but it is a fairy land world believe me, and puts Ancestry into the third division.
It has taken me all this time to realise existing Legacy Hints are courtesy of MyHeritage historical records despite exhaustive (I thought) research to ensure there was no such tie-in. There is no danger I will be using them and, for that matter, will likely discontinue using Legacy...period!
I always liked the Ancestry syncing facility offered by FTM and may resurrect that once MacKiev get their act together with FTM 2017, currently offering test drives. But there is no way I will accept any FH software that offers links to My Heritage even if discovered after the event.
But of course remember it is just my own opinion...so caveat emptor!
A few months ago, after sounding out the Forum for a recommendation for a replacement for my old trusted Family Tree legends (FTL) -now obsolete - I settled on Legacy. To be fair even in the short space of time of using, I have come to accept Legacy and indeed recently updated to Legacy 9.0. Then today I receive an email from Legacy citing the experiences of a Webinar between Legacy & My Heritage...concluding:
..."Since the webinar and with my recent personal discoveries with MyHeritage, I believe MyHeritage is quickly becoming the next big thing for genealogists. It has been for me...Geoff Rasmussen, Legacy developer and host of Family TreeWebinars.com.."
Followed by:
..."Now that Legacy 9 provides both Record Matches to My Heritage's historic records and Smart Matches to their online trees, this is the time for you, too, to give (Legacy 9.0) it a try..."
The email then offers (Legacy Users) a 40% off 'MyHeritage Data Plan for just $89.55 which expires Sunday night, June 4.
People who have not experienced MyHeritage historical records -at the latest count 7.7 billion of names - will I am sure be tempted. Why wouldn't they as it offers access to the world's greatest FH Database, but it is a fairy land world believe me, and puts Ancestry into the third division.
It has taken me all this time to realise existing Legacy Hints are courtesy of MyHeritage historical records despite exhaustive (I thought) research to ensure there was no such tie-in. There is no danger I will be using them and, for that matter, will likely discontinue using Legacy...period!
I always liked the Ancestry syncing facility offered by FTM and may resurrect that once MacKiev get their act together with FTM 2017, currently offering test drives. But there is no way I will accept any FH software that offers links to My Heritage even if discovered after the event.
But of course remember it is just my own opinion...so caveat emptor!
