Liberty
LostCousins Megastar
OK, can anyone tell me what a 'beachman' was?
There were several in my (Great Yarmouth area) family. I realised they were not deckchair attendants and vaguely assumed they maybe fished from the beach.
In the 1871 census my GGG GM said she was 'wife of beachman' My GGG GF was not at home that night, and when I tracked him down I was rather surprised to find he was the owner of the vessel he was on board. It was not insignificant, having a crew of 5 (apart from him) with 2 of his sons the Master and Mate. Some of his sons and sons in law described themselves at other times as 'smack owner' which is what this looked like.
My first attempts at identifying the occupation suggested they did rescue-cum-salvage work, which didn't seem to fit with this 5 or 6-man vessel. However, I found from the site entiled 'Beachmen'
that salvage work was only part of their income, and for some the biggest earner was ferrying the fish to the beach from the fishing vessels anchored in the roads. (This is not quite a quote since I have moved the word order around). (Yarmouth Roads is where 'Grandpa' and my 'uncles' were on census night 1871.) It looks as if the job may have died out over the next few years with a new fish wharf and steam tugs, which may also explain why later generations were 'simply' fishermen.
There were several in my (Great Yarmouth area) family. I realised they were not deckchair attendants and vaguely assumed they maybe fished from the beach.
In the 1871 census my GGG GM said she was 'wife of beachman' My GGG GF was not at home that night, and when I tracked him down I was rather surprised to find he was the owner of the vessel he was on board. It was not insignificant, having a crew of 5 (apart from him) with 2 of his sons the Master and Mate. Some of his sons and sons in law described themselves at other times as 'smack owner' which is what this looked like.
My first attempts at identifying the occupation suggested they did rescue-cum-salvage work, which didn't seem to fit with this 5 or 6-man vessel. However, I found from the site entiled 'Beachmen'
that salvage work was only part of their income, and for some the biggest earner was ferrying the fish to the beach from the fishing vessels anchored in the roads. (This is not quite a quote since I have moved the word order around). (Yarmouth Roads is where 'Grandpa' and my 'uncles' were on census night 1871.) It looks as if the job may have died out over the next few years with a new fish wharf and steam tugs, which may also explain why later generations were 'simply' fishermen.