• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Basingstoke and Pamber

ourleaves

Member
Hello

Is anyone searching the Hampshire area of Basingstoke or Pamber? I have found the doing research in this area is amazingly difficult. The HGS is not very helpful and the records seem to be all over the place. Has anyone experienced this?
 
Yes. Hampshire is not as well represented online as some other counties. It has an OPC project which is different to some other counties in that it is run by Knightroots
Transcriptions are patchy but depending on the years you're looking for, you may be lucky. It may be worthwhile to contact them. The IGI coverage of Hampshire is also patchy. I don't know of other online transcriptions. I haven't many people in Hampshire so perhaps others have had more success uncovering internet resources for Hampshire.
 
Hi - I am also researching Basingstoke/Pamber and I highly recommend the Tadley and District Historical Society's webpage. They have posted a member's extensive work on her family tree and I've found it very useful as some of my relatives appear in her work:TADS Family Names Index

TADS also state that they have hard copies of many of the local BMD records - see the TADS site for their contact details and the list of the records they have.

I also recommend Raymond West's Pamber Heath Archives site and book - full of lots of interesting details.
 
I've transferred this thread to More Hampshire Resources because there are some useful links.
 
I see that the HGS has updated their website. They used to have a free pdf on the old site that told you where the records could be found but they have removed it. They are charging for it now I do believe. I have a copy, thankfully. If anyone needs it, let me know.
 
Thanks for the information on Tadley. I will give a boo and see if I can get a jump over the brick wall in my research.
 
The TADS website seems to have disappeared. Shame. It was a good site.

If anyone finds it, please let me know. There were 2. The old site does not have the genealogy links that the new one did. They had a Names area where many people had posted family trees. That is the one that is gone.
 
Back
Top