Valzie
LostCousins Member
The traditional Scottish naming pattern (first son named after paternal grandfather, second son after maternal grandfather, third son after father; first daughter named after maternal grandmother, second daughter after paternal grandmother, third daughter after mother) was strictly adhered to by most of the Ayrshire families in my tree, until about 1900. This naming pattern has been a great help to me in finding lost parents and grandparents: when other relatives have suggested a George from the next village, I've hesitated, knowing that the missing man was almost certainly a James... and, usually, I've found I was right to trust the naming pattern.
I was, therefore, nonplussed when I found a family in which the maternal grandfather took precedence, giving his name to the first son: apparently this happened occasionally when the maternal family had more money or a better social position.
I was, therefore, nonplussed when I found a family in which the maternal grandfather took precedence, giving his name to the first son: apparently this happened occasionally when the maternal family had more money or a better social position.