raven
LostCousins Member
Peter, thank you for the link to Autosomal_DNA_statistics in your latest newsletter.
It has helped answer a question that has been rattling around in my head for a while, since beginning the journey to understanding DNA results (especially FTDNA FamilyFinder) for my client. I had read on a blog where someone had quoted the cM of their successful match (in the 300s) and I'd realised that the highest shared cM match for my client was still woefully lower than that (162.56), so what was a 'good' cM number to have?
From the chart in the above link, it appears to tally with what has been listed on FTDNA - a 2nd-3rd cousin match, but more importantly it puts things in context.
It has helped answer a question that has been rattling around in my head for a while, since beginning the journey to understanding DNA results (especially FTDNA FamilyFinder) for my client. I had read on a blog where someone had quoted the cM of their successful match (in the 300s) and I'd realised that the highest shared cM match for my client was still woefully lower than that (162.56), so what was a 'good' cM number to have?
From the chart in the above link, it appears to tally with what has been listed on FTDNA - a 2nd-3rd cousin match, but more importantly it puts things in context.
Last edited by a moderator: