My mother-in-law has been researching both her family history and my FIL's side for as long as I can remember. My uncle had spent years working on my father's side of the family but my mum, then aged 75, was an only child and knew very little about her parents' background. She emigrated to Australia after marrying my Aussie dad and has not had much contact with the few relatives she has left in England; apart from Christmas cards, of course.
Spurred on by watching every episode of "Who Do You Think You Are?" when it started in Australia, I wondered if I would find out anything about my English family. I took a fourteen day trial with Find My Past then another with Ancestry UK and I was hooked! So much fun! So addictive! I took all my direct lines back as far as I could, working a part time job and researching about forty hours a week! In six months, at Christmas, I presented my mother with a book which detailed everything I could find, including the story of where her mother and her aunt had contracted ringworm (they were in the children's home when they contracted it and were sent to the Goldie Lee Home).
After a few months hiatus, I started researching the descendants of my English great-grandparents, then started on my great-great-grandparents' descendants. There is always someone new to discover! And I am still addicted! The records from England make research so easy. In Australia, we have no saved census details to refer to, and privacy laws mean we cannot access many of the indexes for the twentieth century that I had begun to take for granted with my English relatives.
When my husband retires, we plan a trip to the UK to visit the towns and villages that were home to our ancestors.
Spurred on by watching every episode of "Who Do You Think You Are?" when it started in Australia, I wondered if I would find out anything about my English family. I took a fourteen day trial with Find My Past then another with Ancestry UK and I was hooked! So much fun! So addictive! I took all my direct lines back as far as I could, working a part time job and researching about forty hours a week! In six months, at Christmas, I presented my mother with a book which detailed everything I could find, including the story of where her mother and her aunt had contracted ringworm (they were in the children's home when they contracted it and were sent to the Goldie Lee Home).
After a few months hiatus, I started researching the descendants of my English great-grandparents, then started on my great-great-grandparents' descendants. There is always someone new to discover! And I am still addicted! The records from England make research so easy. In Australia, we have no saved census details to refer to, and privacy laws mean we cannot access many of the indexes for the twentieth century that I had begun to take for granted with my English relatives.
When my husband retires, we plan a trip to the UK to visit the towns and villages that were home to our ancestors.