Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
I was recently in communication with a Scottish researcher who picked up on my "Taylor" family research in Banffshire,Scotland. My research was on behalf of someone else but had appreciated the help the Researcher had given. But in a recent email he threw me with the statement that one branch of the Taylor family had the "tee" name of Deacon. No explanation was offered so clearly he thought I would understand; but of course I didn't so I asked what he meant and here is an extract from his reply
""Tee" is the local pronunciation of "too" meaning "also" and I think that's the origin of the term, "additional name". In many communities where there were many people shared few surnames, tee-names were given to families instead of or as well as the official surnames. For instance there were countless families called Wood ...and were distinguished by their tee-name, so the Woods related to us were known as Deacon, eg Peter Deacon instead of Peter Wood.
Tee names sometimes appeared on official birth, marriage and death certs and notices, and followed through the generations. They would have started out maybe as individual nicknames attached to one person then attached to his family and descendants. Tee-names are usually associated with fishing communities of the north-east but they were also in use in Easter Ross. There are a couple of websites claiming to look at tee-names but they are actually looking at individual nicknames which is a different thing. I hope this clears things up?"
Well it did and it didn't but rather than comment further I would be interested to find others who have come across (apparently only Scottish) "Tee" names?
""Tee" is the local pronunciation of "too" meaning "also" and I think that's the origin of the term, "additional name". In many communities where there were many people shared few surnames, tee-names were given to families instead of or as well as the official surnames. For instance there were countless families called Wood ...and were distinguished by their tee-name, so the Woods related to us were known as Deacon, eg Peter Deacon instead of Peter Wood.
Tee names sometimes appeared on official birth, marriage and death certs and notices, and followed through the generations. They would have started out maybe as individual nicknames attached to one person then attached to his family and descendants. Tee-names are usually associated with fishing communities of the north-east but they were also in use in Easter Ross. There are a couple of websites claiming to look at tee-names but they are actually looking at individual nicknames which is a different thing. I hope this clears things up?"
Well it did and it didn't but rather than comment further I would be interested to find others who have come across (apparently only Scottish) "Tee" names?