• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Another historic crime "solved" by DNA

DavidL

LostCousins Member
I wonder how many more of these will emerge to cause family ructions as DNA tests become more popular? A suspect has been detained for a 20-year-old unsolved murder in Georgia.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/21-ye...urder-case-cracked-by-ancestry-quest?ref=home

Uploading Ancestry data to other analysts may not always be such a spectacular success. I was invited to feed mine into Living DNA, which produced the grand total of two 5th cousins. But that compares with a torrent of potentials via Gedmatch.

One was particularly pleasing. I have been searching without success for a couple of decades to find connections to grandparents who migrated to the UK just before the First War. The top of my Gedmatch list turned out to be someone whose grandmother not only came from the same country [Ukraine] but the same village and had the same surname.

Apparently, she ended up in Siberia and he lives in New York. Even better, I discovered this because he answered an email. Unfortunately, none of another half-dozen or so cousins in the USA from the other side of my family who emerged directly from Ancestry has replied.
 
I wonder how many more of these will emerge to cause family ructions as DNA tests become more popular? A suspect has been detained for a 20-year-old unsolved murder in Georgia.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/21-ye...urder-case-cracked-by-ancestry-quest?ref=home
Please create tidy links - not URLs.
Uploading Ancestry data to other analysts may not always be such a spectacular success. I was invited to feed mine into Living DNA, which produced the grand total of two 5th cousins.
Not a surprise - they are a very small player at the moment.
But that compares with a torrent of potentials via Gedmatch. One was particularly pleasing. I have been searching without success for a couple of decades to find connections to grandparents who migrated to the UK just before the First War. The top of my Gedmatch list turned out to be someone whose grandmother not only came from the same country [Ukraine] but the same village and had the same surname.

Apparently, she ended up in Siberia and he lives in New York. Even better, I discovered this because he answered an email. Unfortunately, none of another half-dozen or so cousins in the USA from the other side of my family who emerged directly from Ancestry has replied.
I would suggest uploading your results to MyHeritage if you haven't already done so - it's only free until the end of the month.
 
Please create tidy links - not URLs.

Not a surprise - they are a very small player at the moment.

I would suggest uploading your results to MyHeritage if you haven't already done so - it's only free until the end of the month.

Sorry. After 18 years of quoting links this way in online forums, this is the first time I have been scolded. I guess I'll have to dip into the forum FAQ. Thanks for the MyHeritage tip
 
After 18 years of quoting links this way in online forums, this is the first time I have been scolded.
Sorry about that, but on the LostCousins Forum we aim that little bit higher. This is the second time this week I've had to point this out, so on the bright side it suggests that there are new people joining in the discussions.
 
Please create tidy links - not URLs.
I did not find the method of "creating a tidy link" intuitive due to experience of another forum system "masking the obvious" even though it is the same mechanism as setting bold or italic text and, after your prompting, realised the that you have to select a word (or more) and then click the link symbol to "create a tidy link".

Phil
 
I find it intuitive since it's almost exactly what I have to do when writing my newsletter (in Word). But for those who don't there's always the Posting Links page in the area for new members of the forum.
 
Back
Top