- that approach will lead to frustration, disappointment, and disillusionment!"
I know Bob isn't going to change his mind, but you might.....
Well you're right on the last bit, but wrong on the Masterclass extract comments. To be any of those things I would have to have my heart set on the 99%, (or certainly 90% of the 99%)you believe to be a priority. With me they are not, just as ethnicity is not my priority (but I believe you agree on that point). If I want anything from undertaking a DNA test (and even now I cannot say I am over excited at having taken one, but time may make me change my mind), one of the things that will contribute to the latter happened yesterday. I had decided to return to check on family surnames, and after some half dozen attempts I struck gold. I found a
3rd Cousin. (For the DNA Techno phobes 13.4 cMs across 1 segment-apologies for breaking my rule about not using 'techno speak')
Of course he was in the Ancestry 4th-6th bracket sporting a Tree with a mere 17 persons; not over impressive but least it was a Public Tree. When I clicked on the surname used for the search (which revealed 4 names) I thought I recognised one of them. A quick check with my Tribal Pages -alongside on another computer - revealed the family had emigrated to the USA and the Tree owner was in the USA, and the grandson of the name in my Tree. After that it was simple genealogical work to place him as a third maternal cousin. When I clicked on shared matches I found one 3rd-4th cousin and two 4th-6th cousins, one of whom I had found previously and had starred as a favourite. That is the sort of result that pleases me and is priority for exploring further.
I admit having pursued some in the 5th-8th cousin range despite the despair of coming across umpteen 'No Trees', 'Unlinked Trees', and of course Private Trees. I have a few 'matches' set aside for further exploration, and by the law of averages may well find a few more. My enthusiasm exploring cousins in the 5th-8th range is mediocre at best, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. It will just have to await its turn.
If my DNA search approach is different, so be it. I have had that levelled at me before and likely will again. I believe my mother's saying (about me) that...
"he can be led to water, but can't be made to drink", may well explain things better.