I can't remember either - I thought it was a switch in the ThruLines box, but if so it has now disappeared.I found the link for those markers quite by accident the other day. Now I cannot remember how.
None of my tree is showing those ThruLine markers that I’ve seen...
You need to click on the DNA symbol which appears on the left side of the screen when viewing your DNA-linked tree (either in pedigree or family view). Then, in the 'DNA Discoveries' panel which appears (on the right side of the screen), there is a toggle switch to turn ThruLines Icons on or off. When turned on, the blue icons then mark every direct ancestor within scope of ThruLines (i.e. up to 5x great-grandparents), whether or not DNA matches are linked through these ancestors. You can click on the icon to go straight to the ThruLines for that ancestor.I found the link for those markers quite by accident the other day. Now I cannot remember how.
Nicely explained Helen, as always.You need to click on the DNA symbol which appears on the left side of the screen when viewing your DNA-linked tree (either in pedigree or family view). Then, in the 'DNA Discoveries' panel which appears (on the right side of the screen), there is a toggle switch to turn ThruLines Icons on or off. When turned on, the blue icons then mark every direct ancestor within scope of ThruLines (i.e. up to 5x great-grandparents), whether or not DNA matches are linked through these ancestors. You can click on the icon to go straight to the ThruLines for that ancestor.
EDIT: This is another thing that doesn't seem to work (for me anyway) if I enable MyTreeTags, as in that case the 'DNA Discoveries' panel doesn't appear so no toggle switch available. The ThrulLines then stay on or off depending on what was previously chosen. I keep MyTreeTags disabled as for me it causes more problems than it's worth!
In checking the ThruLines/TreeTags anomaly, which does seem to exist for me, I found a different anomaly.
For my 5xgt-gp, William Bennet=Mary Glover, if I select William I get 3 ThruLines matches whereas for Mary I get 4 (a cousin of 1 of the 3 matches added)If I move down a generation and select their daughter, Elizabeth, then ThruLines adds a 5th match - the daughter of one of the previous matches.
I agree, but I do wonder why ThruLines often uses spouses from other people's trees in preference to spouses in my tree (with correct maiden name) when showing relationships, thus coming to wrong conclusions about half- and full cousins.Indeed, I suspect that most of the anomalies with ThruLines are a result of errors in other peoples' trees.
Absolutely, and after reading so many posts lamenting the idiosyncrasies of ThruLines, wonder why this point has not been raised before. I have -almost from the start -accepted ThruLine information has having been garnered -in the main - from other people's trees (as Peter rightly alludes). With that in mind ThruLines (which I remind is Beta anyway) has to be taken with a grain of salt. Discard anything you know to be wrong; check carefully anything you believe to be wrong, and then just profit from what may well be correct and previously unknown to you. Such does exist, you just need to eliminate the negative ... it is after all Ancestry!Because ThruLines combine information from multiple trees there are lots of opportunities for confusion - and they are, after all, just hints.
I agree, ThruLines has improved a lot recently, and I also no longer have any replaced ancestors, just potential ancestors filling gaps (highlighted in bright green so they are easier to spot!). I think even the different spouses problem has largely disappeared. The potential ancestors generally appear very improbable, but I agree it's good to keep an open mind and the alternatives do make us 'think outside the box' as Tim said.My understanding is that Ancestry are no longer replacing our own ancestors in ThruLines with someone from another person’s tree. The only potential ancestors in my ThruLines now are where I have a gap in my tree.
I assume you have linked your tree to your DNA results and named yourself as home person? If not, I believe ThruLines won't work.When I click on DNA on Ancestry, it says I am not connected to Thrulines yet. I have quite a few generations on my tree, details of myself, parents and grandparents etc, but still not connected. I have also clicked on 'extras' to check that I have enabled everything, which I have, but not connected. Please can anyone suggest why not? Many thanks.
I think I did, though cannot remember how now, but someone contacted me once my results came through. Just I case, please can you remind me how? Thanks.I assume you have linked your tree to your DNA results and named yourself as home person? If not, I believe ThruLines won't work.
If you've recently uploaded a new tree, or only recently switched on ThruLines, you might have to wait several days, possibly a week.it says I am not connected to Thrulines yet
From the DNA summary page, click on 'Settings' and it will show which tree you have linked to your DNA results. You can then check the home person on that tree from the 'Manage tree' option in the Trees menu.I think I did, though cannot remember how now, but someone contacted me once my results came through. Just I case, please can you remind me how? Thanks.
No, I did all this a few months agoIf you've recently uploaded a new tree, or only recently switched on ThruLines, you might have to wait several days, possibly a week.