• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry Tree-sync & FTM 2017

PhilGee

LostCousins Member
I've just received an e-mail introducing FTM 2017, to be available March 31st, with "pre-release" offer prices. This also states that tree-sync will end on March 29th and a replacement system - called Family-sync - will then be implemented with the intention it will be live two days later.

For those interested in upgrading, from the e-mail
First question — what's it cost? Well, it depends. First of all we wanted to say thank you to all those who took a chance on us by buying a MacKiev edition during our first year as publisher. If you PAID for a copy of FTM 2014.1 or Mac 3.1 (both introduced in March 2016), your copy of FTM 2017 is FREE and you will be notified by email when yours is available. In case you're not sure whether you purchased a copy from us or not, we've set up a verification center so you can find out.

For the rest of you who own an older edition of Family Tree Maker, if you are ready to jump on in, now's the time to do it. For just one week, we are offering a pre-order price of £29.95, just until the launch on March 31st. After that it will be £39.95 for upgrades for a limited time. Click here to pre-order now! The full price, which is only for newcomers, is £79.95. All installers of FTM 2017 now contain a choice of editions — US, Canadian, UK and Australian so you don't need to worry about what edition you are getting.

Phil
 
Just ordered mine and noted that the Family-sync will now allow any tree to be synced to more than one PC. This could be useful for my wife and I who maintain separate trees on Ancestry. We will be able to have up-to-date trees on each of our PCs. It's a pity, though, that MacKiev charge an extra £20 for an "up to 3 PC" licence. Most software allows installation on both a PC and a laptop without having to purchase extra licences.
 
Most software allows installation on both a PC and a laptop without having to purchase extra licences.
I have read on their website that you are allowed to have a second copy on your laptop. Also as you stated you will be able to sync them both.

The new version will also link with Family Search which could be interesting.
 
As someone who uses FTM as a 'spare broom in the cupboard' -my main programs being Ancestry itself, Tribal Pages and, (of late to replace my old faithful FTL) Legacy - so see no earthly reason to invest in the MacKiev 2017 version. Indeed am I the only one who sees into their mindset of getting people to buy their version, and then forever required to upgrade to new versions, at a 'reduced cost' of course. Or am I too much of a cynic?

I bought the Ancestry FTM 2014 version to try it out and did so and found its ability to sync with Ancestry useful and almost the only reason to keep FTM. Even so, and despite little active use of FTM, with Ancestry dropping FTM I saw no reason not to change to the free MacKiev version. Now I discover as I did not 'buy' the MacKiev 'edition' I must either choose the limited offer download, or bow out. Unless anyone can give me good reason why I should invest in a MacKiev 2017 edition I shall just bow out.

The new version will also link with Family Search which could be interesting.
I admit this drew my attention until I realised it could only mean if someone had a Family Search Family Tree, which I don't have or want. In the same way I choose not to have a FMP Family Tree. Just how many online Trees do people want?
 
I admit this drew my attention until I realised it could only mean if someone had a Family Search Family Tree, which I don't have.
I had not spotted this restriction (in fact have not yet found a reference to it) - it certainly reduces its value as I do not have a tree on the site either.
However I like FTM as a program and use it as my main record so will make the relatively small investment to see how it goes.
 
I have read on their website that you are allowed to have a second copy on your laptop. Also as you stated you will be able to sync them both.

That's what we have been doing up till now. Not strictly within the terms of the agreement as we are often using them at the same time.

Unless anyone can give me good reason why I should invest in a MacKiev 2017 edition I shall just bow out.

I would be surprised if there are many software companies that continue to give away their product to anyone who used a "competitive upgrade". If the new program has significantly increased functionality then I believe it's reasonable to ask for payment. If the current product does all you want or need then stick with that version.

However I like FTM as a program and use it as my main record so will make the relatively small investment to see how it goes.

Me too! There will, at some point, come a time when I can't afford or require my Ancestry subscription. When that time comes I would hate to lose all the information and images I have there. FTM allows me to protect my investment by keeping everything local as well as on-line.
 
However I like FTM as a program and use it as my main record so will make the relatively small investment to see how it goes.
As they say trebor, 'horses for courses', so as you use FTM as your main program the investment is naturally one you should take. It is far from being mine, which is why I wont take up the offer.

I suppose at heart I dislike the MacKiev 'pre-order' spiel: (the underlining is mine)"...For just one week, we are offering a pre-order price of £29.95, just until the launch on March 31st. After that it will be £39.95 for an upgrade for a limited time frame...The full price (thereafter for new comers) ...£79.95..." .

Not forgetting the implication of course that those who do not take up the offer to buy their 2017 edition will find earlier Ancestry FTM editions (including the MacKiev free upgrade edition) unable to receive 'Family Sync'. Hence their heading GOODBYE TREESYNC. HELLO FAMILYSYNC!

My answer Hello MacKiev. Goodbye MacKiev!
 
If the new program has significantly increased functionality then I believe it's reasonable to ask for payment. If the current product does all you want or need then stick with that version.
I sort of accept the first sentence with a few reservations, but the second sentence falls down if -as in my case the current product is only useful for its ability to 'sync' -a 'sync' facility is no longer available. That renders it not fit for purpose?

There will, at some point, come a time when I can't afford or require my Ancestry subscription. When that time comes I would hate to lose all the information and images I have there. FTM allows me to protect my investment by keeping everything local as well as on-line.
I can see your point of view but as a stalwart fan of Ancestry -often going against the flow by recommending Public Trees -it is invaluable as a research/search medium (getting more and more global all the time) and its active 'Hints' and 'Message' facilities second to none. On top of all that I can download Gedcoms for use in other programs if needed, and as I restrict most of my family information, images & stories to Tribal Pages, and have back-up data in Legacy, FTM (without sync) is no longer needed; Ancestry most certainly is.
 
I sort of accept the first sentence with a few reservations, but the second sentence falls down if -as in my case the current product is only useful for its ability to 'sync' -a 'sync' facility is no longer available. That renders it not fit for purpose?

I suspect you are correct in assuming the current "sync" will stop working but we can't be sure of that. At least Ancestry gave good notice that FTM was being discontinued and, of course, they were under no obligation to provide alternatives. That was up to competitors to provide. Mackiev have decided to enhance the functionality but others may continue as currently. RootsMagic are developing their version of "sync" with Ancestry as Ancestry have released the API to allow any other software to interface with it. Maybe others will follow.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect you are correct in assuming the current "sync" will stop working but we can't be sure of that. At least Ancestry gave good notice that FTM was being discontinued and, of course, they were under no obligation to provide alternatives. That was up to competitors to provide. Mackiev have decided to enhance the functionality but others may continue as currently. RootsMagic are developing their version of "sync" with Ancestry as Ancestry have released the API to allow any other software to interface with it. Matbe others will follow.
Yes to most of that Norman and particularly about Ancestry giving good notice and under no obligation to provide alternatives. I had forgotten that Ancestry had released the 'sync' API and as you say, maybe others may copy Roots Magic. I chose Legacy over Roots Magic to replace my redundant FTL program, perhaps Legacy will be one of the 'others'. Meanwhile will wait and see if Tree sync stops working after 31st March, as I strongly suspect it will.
 
I suspect you are correct in assuming the current "sync" will stop working but we can't be sure of that.
Norman, I think we can, this is from the email

Some more big news. To make way for our new FamilySync technology, Ancestry's award-winning TreeSync will go offline forever at the end of the day next Wednesday, March 29th at midnight Utah time
 
Well, just to be pedantic, that says Ancestry's TreeSync not FTM's. I'm sure you're right though, we'll soon see.
 
Family Tree Maker is my only program and I have upgraded to the 2014.1 version. Also, I no longer subscribe to Ancestry; it was cancelled last month and I have no current plans to spend any more money on it. That being said, is there any point to buying the 2017 version for $39.99? I do have a Family Search membership but am not sure just how up to date it is, since I have not looked at it for some time.
 
Just for clarification below is a reply from Jack Minsky on the FTM facebook group page.
Jack Minsky Hey guys, if Bob Shalvoy says I said it, then who am I to argue? :) I did say it. Because we have caught the Mac edition up to the Windows one, we no longer sell them separately as two different products. It's exactly as it says in the FAQ as Heather kindly provided it with no mention of platform:

Q: How can I tell if I need to purchase a Family Pack Upgrade?

A: You need a Family Pack Upgrade if a) there's more than one computer in your home, AND b) there's more than one FTM user there. For example, if you are the only FTM user in your home, you can have FTM on your desktop computer and laptop and will not need a Family Pack license.
 
Family Tree Maker is my only program and I have upgraded to the 2014.1 version. Also, I no longer subscribe to Ancestry; it was cancelled last month and I have no current plans to spend any more money on it. That being said, is there any point to buying the 2017 version for $39.99? I do have a Family Search membership but am not sure just how up to date it is, since I have not looked at it for some time.
Hi Canadianbeth - I asked myself the same question (although if bought in the next few days the price is only 29.95) and decided to invest because if in the future I do decide to subscribe to Ancestry again I would like to have the Sync option working, I like the sound of the colour coding which (if it works the way I expect it to) will help me clarify which lines the people in my tree belong to and if the Family Search hints work anything like the Ancestry hints they could be interesting too. I assume that like earlier versions of FTM the 2017 program will keep on working with the original features removing the need for an update (unless you want any new features) in the future so a low cost update now could remove the need for a more expensive one later.
 
Not forgetting the implication of course that those who do not take up the offer to buy their 2017 edition will find earlier Ancestry FTM editions (including the MacKiev free upgrade edition) unable to receive 'Family Sync'. Hence their heading GOODBYE TREESYNC. HELLO FAMILYSYNC!
My answer Hello MacKiev. Goodbye MacKiev!
Unless I have totally misunderstood the whole thing I believe that it was Ancestry's decision to kill TreeSync - not MacKiev's.
MacKiev have made the investment to develop FamilySync and to update (and possibly improve) FTM so in my view a charge for the upgrade is fully justifiable.
Possibly your anger should be directed at Ancestry - you bought a program from them with important features that are now being removed leaving you with something of much less value compared to when you first bought it.
 
According to the e-mail I received, the pre-order price is $39.99. I will probably do the pre-order.

"From now until March 31st we are offering a pre-order price of C$39.95. After that it will be C$49.95 for upgrades for a limited time. Click here to pre-order now. The full price, which is only for newcomers, is C$114.95."
 
Possibly your anger should be directed at Ancestry - you bought a program from them with important features that are now being removed leaving you with something of much less value compared to when you first bought it.
Yes in the first instance my anger is and was (in communications with them) directed at Ancestry for abandoning the program and the decision to discontinue the Tree Sync. For no other reason than the fact MacKiev entered the picture to take over FTM and continue the sync, I changed to their version. I fully understand the commercial implications of return on investment but I want to keep the program I have with continuing sync capability. If this is not possible, and as it is far from being a primary program for me -as it appears to be with others - then to pay for an upgrade is a waste of money. Just as others unsubscribe from Ancestry as they cannot justify the expense.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top