Firstly, just want to thank Peter for the Zoom talk he gave on DNA yesterday (Sat 4th Feb). Nice to put a face & voice to the name. I was relieved to find that a lot of the things Peter mentioned I have come across in my own research. I thought I had been getting the hang of things but I recently noticed something different about my Ancestry ThruLines which puzzled me, or rather I think a recent Ancestry update may have confused the issue. Let me explain:
When I received my DNA results over a year ago I found a maternal-side first cousin & her daughter topping my list of matches. Weighing in at 847cM and 427cM shared DNA respectively, they fitted nicely within the parameters as given on a relationships chart in Peter’s masterclass. If my cousin popped up in Shared Matches (with or without her daughter) I was confident the other matches would be on my maternal side. Both cousin & daughter appeared in my maternal grandparents’ ThruLines. The technology worked.
I suspected that Parent1 was my maternal line – there is a chunk of Irishness appearing in my Parent2 which suggested this was my paternal line. My thoughts were confirmed with the introduction of SideView and the Maternal/Paternal/Unassigned/Both Sides labels. Again, thumbs up for the technology.
I noted that Ancestry applied the Both Sides label to my first cousin. Since Peter had written in a newsletter this could happen with close family I wasn’t too worried – I put it down to cousin’s mother’s family coming from the North London area. My father’s forebears had converged on North London during the 19thC so I figured there could be a dash of common DNA in the melting pot. The cousin’s daughter was not labelled as Both Sides so I assume the segments of DNA causing Ancestry to apply that label had not been passed on. On one occasion, when using Shared Matches, I came across my cousin and someone labelled as Parent2 – looking at this Parent2 person’s tree I saw surnames and locations which made me think they were more than likely on the Parent1 side. So I’m getting a bit confused now.
I labelled my cousin as Maternal – at one point I reset the labels back to Parent1/Parent2 and Ancestry today tells me my cousin is still Parent1, it’s not trying to tell me she’s Both Sides.
However, just before Christmas I was having a look at ThruLines and had a “What’s wrong with this picture?” moment. I noticed my cousin’s 847cM seemed to be appearing less often than previously, but her daughter was still appearing in all the places I would expect. Mother and daughter both appear in the lines emanating back from my grandmother BUT only the daughter is appearing in the ThruLines going back from our grandfather. My cousin has disappeared from our mutual grandfather’s lines. My initial reaction: “was my uncle illegitimate”. But a look at granddad’s WW1 army record showed that he was back in Blighty in 1918 and absconded from a hospital for a few days (back home, perhaps?) – the timing is tight but nothing so out of kilter to make me doubt he is the father of my cousin’s father (born in 1919).
Having pondered things, I wondered if something could have gone awry at Ancestry’s end. DNA passes down generation by generation, it can’t skip a generation, once it’s gone it won’t reappear. For argument’s sake, if my uncle was illegitimate then it makes sense that my cousin would only appear in grandma’s “back catalogue” of ancestors. However, if there was no DNA from our granddad then not only would my cousin not appear in granddad’s lines then neither would her daughter, yet the daughter is still appearing in both lines. As stated above, both cousin & her daughter appeared in the ThruLines of both my maternal grandparents for months yet it is my cousin who has disappeared from granddad’s line.
Thank you for reading this far – as much as anything this was to help me get my thoughts in order. Things have gone from making sense to now not making sense. I appreciate Ancestry’s processes can’t give 100% accuracy.
Is this likely to be down to an Ancestry “refinement” going one step too far and confusing the issue? I’m hoping that a future update from Ancestry will reinstate things (like it did when my Germanicness disappeared from my ethnicity results only for it to reappear in a later update). Or have I overlooked some other explanation?
Kind regards,
Rose
When I received my DNA results over a year ago I found a maternal-side first cousin & her daughter topping my list of matches. Weighing in at 847cM and 427cM shared DNA respectively, they fitted nicely within the parameters as given on a relationships chart in Peter’s masterclass. If my cousin popped up in Shared Matches (with or without her daughter) I was confident the other matches would be on my maternal side. Both cousin & daughter appeared in my maternal grandparents’ ThruLines. The technology worked.
I suspected that Parent1 was my maternal line – there is a chunk of Irishness appearing in my Parent2 which suggested this was my paternal line. My thoughts were confirmed with the introduction of SideView and the Maternal/Paternal/Unassigned/Both Sides labels. Again, thumbs up for the technology.
I noted that Ancestry applied the Both Sides label to my first cousin. Since Peter had written in a newsletter this could happen with close family I wasn’t too worried – I put it down to cousin’s mother’s family coming from the North London area. My father’s forebears had converged on North London during the 19thC so I figured there could be a dash of common DNA in the melting pot. The cousin’s daughter was not labelled as Both Sides so I assume the segments of DNA causing Ancestry to apply that label had not been passed on. On one occasion, when using Shared Matches, I came across my cousin and someone labelled as Parent2 – looking at this Parent2 person’s tree I saw surnames and locations which made me think they were more than likely on the Parent1 side. So I’m getting a bit confused now.
I labelled my cousin as Maternal – at one point I reset the labels back to Parent1/Parent2 and Ancestry today tells me my cousin is still Parent1, it’s not trying to tell me she’s Both Sides.
However, just before Christmas I was having a look at ThruLines and had a “What’s wrong with this picture?” moment. I noticed my cousin’s 847cM seemed to be appearing less often than previously, but her daughter was still appearing in all the places I would expect. Mother and daughter both appear in the lines emanating back from my grandmother BUT only the daughter is appearing in the ThruLines going back from our grandfather. My cousin has disappeared from our mutual grandfather’s lines. My initial reaction: “was my uncle illegitimate”. But a look at granddad’s WW1 army record showed that he was back in Blighty in 1918 and absconded from a hospital for a few days (back home, perhaps?) – the timing is tight but nothing so out of kilter to make me doubt he is the father of my cousin’s father (born in 1919).
Having pondered things, I wondered if something could have gone awry at Ancestry’s end. DNA passes down generation by generation, it can’t skip a generation, once it’s gone it won’t reappear. For argument’s sake, if my uncle was illegitimate then it makes sense that my cousin would only appear in grandma’s “back catalogue” of ancestors. However, if there was no DNA from our granddad then not only would my cousin not appear in granddad’s lines then neither would her daughter, yet the daughter is still appearing in both lines. As stated above, both cousin & her daughter appeared in the ThruLines of both my maternal grandparents for months yet it is my cousin who has disappeared from granddad’s line.
Thank you for reading this far – as much as anything this was to help me get my thoughts in order. Things have gone from making sense to now not making sense. I appreciate Ancestry’s processes can’t give 100% accuracy.
Is this likely to be down to an Ancestry “refinement” going one step too far and confusing the issue? I’m hoping that a future update from Ancestry will reinstate things (like it did when my Germanicness disappeared from my ethnicity results only for it to reappear in a later update). Or have I overlooked some other explanation?
Kind regards,
Rose