CliveR
LostCousins Member
I am interested to find out how accurate people think Ancestry's Sideview is, particularly with regard to ethnicity estimates. Is it to be taken with a pinch of salt?
While I am no DNA expert, I find Sideview's separation of paternal and maternal ethnicities rather hard to believe from a common-sense point-of-view.
Let me first say that in researching my family tree, I have found that my mother's ancestors and father's ancestors come from roughly the same region of the UK, mostly in the North West of England:
Paternal ancestors: Cheshire, South Lancashire and Shropshire
Maternal ancestors: Cheshire, South Lancashire and Northern Ireland
I'd say that my maternal family is more biased towards South Lancashire than my paternal family, which is more Cheshire-oriented.
My overall ethnicity results appear to be very typically English, but it is their separation to paternal and maternal by Sideview that concerns me.
Scotland
In my overall ethnicity results, I was surprised to see 18% Scotland but I believe this is not untypical for an English person. Ancestry say "on average, people native to England who take a DNA test see about 20% Scotland in their results". However, Sideview attributes all of my Scottish to my father's side. Surely, if the Scottish came from ancestors in the dim and distant past, it should be roughly equal on both sides, especially since my parents come from the same region of England.
Scandinavia
It's a similar story with my 6% Norway. Again, I understand this to be typical for an English person and have heard it described as "Viking residue". However, Sideview has attributed it purely to my mother's side. If it was Viking residue, I would expect it to be on both sides - for clarification, there are no obvious Norwegian ancestors in my family. I do, however, have Sweden & Denmark on both sides, 1% from my mother and 3% from my father.
Ireland
Another puzzle is my 4% Ireland. I know that I have Irish ancestors on my maternal side but Sideview has attributed it to my paternal side, with none on my maternal side. Could I be completely missing 6.25% of Irish ethnicity from a maternal great-great grandmother?
My main concern is that Scotland and Norway are polarised in my Sideview results, and I don't believe they should be if they come from the very distant past. Has anyone else observed similar effects in their results?
While I am no DNA expert, I find Sideview's separation of paternal and maternal ethnicities rather hard to believe from a common-sense point-of-view.
Let me first say that in researching my family tree, I have found that my mother's ancestors and father's ancestors come from roughly the same region of the UK, mostly in the North West of England:
Paternal ancestors: Cheshire, South Lancashire and Shropshire
Maternal ancestors: Cheshire, South Lancashire and Northern Ireland
I'd say that my maternal family is more biased towards South Lancashire than my paternal family, which is more Cheshire-oriented.
My overall ethnicity results appear to be very typically English, but it is their separation to paternal and maternal by Sideview that concerns me.
Scotland
In my overall ethnicity results, I was surprised to see 18% Scotland but I believe this is not untypical for an English person. Ancestry say "on average, people native to England who take a DNA test see about 20% Scotland in their results". However, Sideview attributes all of my Scottish to my father's side. Surely, if the Scottish came from ancestors in the dim and distant past, it should be roughly equal on both sides, especially since my parents come from the same region of England.
Scandinavia
It's a similar story with my 6% Norway. Again, I understand this to be typical for an English person and have heard it described as "Viking residue". However, Sideview has attributed it purely to my mother's side. If it was Viking residue, I would expect it to be on both sides - for clarification, there are no obvious Norwegian ancestors in my family. I do, however, have Sweden & Denmark on both sides, 1% from my mother and 3% from my father.
Ireland
Another puzzle is my 4% Ireland. I know that I have Irish ancestors on my maternal side but Sideview has attributed it to my paternal side, with none on my maternal side. Could I be completely missing 6.25% of Irish ethnicity from a maternal great-great grandmother?
My main concern is that Scotland and Norway are polarised in my Sideview results, and I don't believe they should be if they come from the very distant past. Has anyone else observed similar effects in their results?

