Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
I have great regard for Peter Calver and have emailed him before when something in his Newsletters catches my eye and pleases. So, it should come as no surprise that I do the same when something displeases. I took exception in his latest Newsletter (9th February 2018) about his comments -particularly his closing paragraph - on Ancestry Public Trees, which as everyone knows he dislikes, and likewise that I support. So, I emailed him on the matter.
Peter has suggested that I air my views on the Forum and invite comment for and against public trees -and shades in between if necessary - so I am copying the gist of my email. To make sense of my comments I suggest you read, or even re-read what he had to say in his Newsletter under the heading: “Revealed: why so many online trees are rubbish”. In particular read the Ancestry webinar, then what Peter has to say on public trees paying particular attention to his closing paragraph.
Here are the main points of my email to Peter:
… “your comments in your latest Newsletter about Public Ancestry Trees are a step too far. Your latest tirade…suggesting people name their Trees… “Rubbish XXX tree -copy at your peril” is something one would expect from a Donald Trump tweet and it does you no credit whatsoever.
Everyone … knows your views on Public Trees, just as you (and many on the Forum) know I am greatly in favour of them. I also favour Ancestry over FMP …but can still regard both as essential tools in my genealogical armoury.
I own to having a personal antipathy to Ancestry Private Trees, which I see as insular and fit for no purpose other than that of the person who created them. There are other mediums affording privacy -like Tribal Pages for instance – but I believe (private trees) fly in the face of Ancestry's raison d’être.
As the webinar suggests, Ancestry is a stepping stone for others, and it has certainly been that for me. Let us face it: you dislike Public Trees, fine; you do not recommend them; fine. Nuf sed.”
I see no need for me to expand further on the matter but will be interested to learn what others have to say on the subject. I may then comment further of course.
Peter has suggested that I air my views on the Forum and invite comment for and against public trees -and shades in between if necessary - so I am copying the gist of my email. To make sense of my comments I suggest you read, or even re-read what he had to say in his Newsletter under the heading: “Revealed: why so many online trees are rubbish”. In particular read the Ancestry webinar, then what Peter has to say on public trees paying particular attention to his closing paragraph.
Here are the main points of my email to Peter:
… “your comments in your latest Newsletter about Public Ancestry Trees are a step too far. Your latest tirade…suggesting people name their Trees… “Rubbish XXX tree -copy at your peril” is something one would expect from a Donald Trump tweet and it does you no credit whatsoever.
Everyone … knows your views on Public Trees, just as you (and many on the Forum) know I am greatly in favour of them. I also favour Ancestry over FMP …but can still regard both as essential tools in my genealogical armoury.
I own to having a personal antipathy to Ancestry Private Trees, which I see as insular and fit for no purpose other than that of the person who created them. There are other mediums affording privacy -like Tribal Pages for instance – but I believe (private trees) fly in the face of Ancestry's raison d’être.
As the webinar suggests, Ancestry is a stepping stone for others, and it has certainly been that for me. Let us face it: you dislike Public Trees, fine; you do not recommend them; fine. Nuf sed.”
I see no need for me to expand further on the matter but will be interested to learn what others have to say on the subject. I may then comment further of course.