The chance of finding useful evidence has to be weighed against the likelihood of making incorrect deductions. Many people don't fully understand the limitations of DNA, .....
The same can be said about tree hints - and I'm not convinced, yet, that hints are
better. Especially when Ancestry, it is suggested, actively "suppress" the effects of pile-ups etc where
they believe the results are/could be misleading through "Timber".
Think about this: if the information is so useful why don't Ancestry provide it.....?
I'm not sure this is the whole story, it might be to protect their information on pile-up regions etc. I'm also not sure that tree hints/Thrulines come in the category of "so useful"
unless used with care, on the basis of a somewhat extreme example:
I have 10 tree "hints" for my 2gt-GF, John Jones. Of these, one tree is a close match for data, perhaps too close (Parents, death index and birth county - but a difference in the place of birth: Llangollen from the 1851 (a miss-transcription as on Ancestry - it should be transcribed as Llansellio/Llansellia as on the 1861 census) whereas mine is Rhydwilym - from the 1891 census. Rhydwilym is in both Pembrokeshire and the Carmarthenshire Parish of Llandissilio.
Of the remaining 9:
- all have the place of birth as Llangyfelach (or the anglicised Llangafelach) or Morriston, that are also the place of residence, in the various corresponding census years;
- two have parents as David/Jane, one (my second cousin!) has John/Mary and six have no parents;
- eight have the year of death as 1914, one has no data - though a quick "burials" check would identify that the death is another person of the same age also on the 1911 census. That leaves four entries between 1918 and 1924 inclusive - I await the 1921 census!
In addition, John is a "Washer" or "Pickler" on census returns, his marriage cert and my gt-GM's birth cert and, having found his parents, a "Tin Lister" in 1851.
To be fair to others, this is my third variation made after I found his parents as a result of being intrigued by finding him living next door to an Elizabeth Davies (nee Jones I found from the children's birth index entries) from Rhydwilym in 1891 and I then found a Narberth 1839 entry for her birth with mother's maiden name of "David". That unlocked the 1841/1851 census entries etc.
I still have one problem, John is 22 on his marriage certificate and a widower! I'm going to need Devine intervention to solve this bit.
Footnote: Whilst writing this, I suddenly thought it was strange that the first three children appear to be named after grandparents but my gt-GM was not. A quick GRO check found a birth 1869Q2 (mmn: Davies and nicely placed between 1867Q3 and my gt-GM 1872Q3) and a death 1869Q3 age 0 for an Elizabeth Jones which would complete the grandparents names before the birth of my gt-GM in 1872! Interesting - now, can I get the finance manager to authorise some expenditure?