What I mean is that they are clearly in the middle of the update and things may have got out of sync.Yes - but the shared segments have already been updated or do you mean that those with a single segment have not been updated?
That makes sense, although remember that you can adjust the parameters at GEDmatch.Comparing the longest AncestryDNA segment value with the shared cM value provided by Gedmatch for the same match, the two number are very similar value.
I found the same, though the value for total shared DNA is always higher at GEDmatch.Comparing the longest AncestryDNA segment value with the shared cM value provided by Gedmatch for the same match, the two number are very similar value.
I've done a similar exercise and found the vast majority of the single segment matches give a longest segment greater than the total shared segment, usually by around 1-5 cM but some much longer - my biggest discrepancy was shared DNA = 27cM, longest segment = 39cM.I checked my top 48 matches and many of those with a single segment had a longest segment that was larger than the total shared segment (19 in total meet that criteria).
Likewise. I have one of 31cM across 4 segments with longest segment 25cM, and another of 29cM across 2 segments with longest segment 29cM.I also have cases where longest segment would mean that other segments are 3-4cM in length
Just noticed this on notes connected to shared and longest segment information from ANCESTRYNow Ancestry needs to explain their definition of longest segment, it’s making no sense to many of us.
I'm inclined to think, particularly with the somewhat bizarre example you give above, that something may have gone wrong with this new feature. Since Ancestry have been made aware of the situation, then the chances are things will be sorted in due course and we just need to be patient.Now Ancestry needs to explain their definition of longest segment, it’s making no sense to many of us.
Your post appeared just as I was posting mine, and from what you quoted it seems something may not have gone wrong after all, and that the length of the longest segment may sometimes seem bizarre.Just noticed this on notes connected to shared and longest segment information from ANCESTRY
I can't believe how impatient everyone is. Can't we just wait and see what happens?Which leaves me wondering if the information has much practical use.
Ancestry has not really covered itself in glory - supposedly all that there is to go is for me to lose 65% of my matches (which I am fine with).I can't believe how impatient everyone is. Can't we just wait and see what happens?
How do you mean? Are you expecting something to happen?I can't believe how impatient everyone is. Can't we just wait and see what happens?
Yes, I'm expecting the transition to be completed at some point in the next few weeks.How do you mean? Are you expecting something to happen?
I was never in a single DNA Circle, nor were any of the tests I managed - I couldn't see what the point of them was, and nobody could tell me. By contrast ThruLines and, more recently, Common Ancestors, have delivered amazing results.However I believe the biggest loss to Ancestry over the last year was the demise of DNA circles.
However I believe the biggest loss to Ancestry over the last year was the demise of DNA circles.
Yes, I’m well aware of that, but that wasn’t what I meant. How is it being impatient to be discussing the addition of the new longest segment information now? And are you saying that when the most distant matches disappear at the end of the month its practical usefulness (or otherwise) will become apparent?Yes, I'm expecting the transition to be completed at some point in the next few weeks.
At the moment we have a situation where the longest shared segment displayed can exceed, sometimes by a very considerable margin, the total of all the shared segments - whilst we can speculate, it's impossible to know for sure whether the numbers we're seeing are meaningful or not.Yes, I’m well aware of that, but that wasn’t what I meant. How is it being impatient to be discussing the addition of the new longest segment information now? And are you saying that when the most distant matches disappear at the end of the month its practical usefulness (or otherwise) will become apparent?
I agree with Peter - even though some of my results did appear in Circles, they didn't give you an idea of where you were linked with the individuals in the circle, and I had a few where it was telling me that the result belonged in the Circle, but couldn't give any ideas as to where that link might be as there weren't any shared ancestors in my tree that matched the relatives that the Circle was telling me the result belonged to.
ThruLines and Common Ancestors do that and more, particularly useful is the ability to show where you may be related.