PhilGee
LostCousins Member
I have a match with “xyz” of 24cM across 1 segment and a longest length of 49cM. Looking at all my shared matches with “xyz”, I have 49cM as the longest length for each of these shared matches with “xyz”, the shared match ranges from 44cM to 22 cM. This is the case with all my matches with 1 segment shared. Triangulation would also yield the same results.
Thinking about Excess IBD/pile-ups and how Ancestry address the issue, I have just been looking at the Ancestry white paper on DNA Matching and came across "Section 4" on adjusting IBD values, including reducing match values by removing the effect of a (partial) Excess IBD/pile-up segment within the match.
From the description in the paper and using the values above, my interpretation is that a 49cM segment "match" (longest length) containing an excess IBD region could be reduced by the Timber algorithm to "Match" values such as the 44cM and 22cM quoted.
Without a definitive answer from Ancestry, this is speculation!
Phil