Pauline
LostCousins Megastar
Yes, if I set my screen resolution to 800x600 (and restart IE11) then I also get Save Image.
Well done!
Many thanks for checking, Peter.
Yes, if I set my screen resolution to 800x600 (and restart IE11) then I also get Save Image.
Well done!
One slight spanner in the works with this is that we have an ancient laptop running XP and IE8, also with a display resolution of 1024 x 768, and we're getting the correct "Save to your computer" option on that. However, the html code for the page has some comments at the top which I think suggest that it uses different javascript files depending on whether you have IE7, IE8, IE9 or an unspecified version later than IE9..
My Vista PC (of some vintage) giving the "Save to your Computer" with IE9 also has a resolution of 1024x768 yet when using the Chome Browser with the same resolution of course, produces "Save Image". I have little understanding of html coding but common sense seems to indicate that JavaScript picks up from the Browser being used and gives results accordingly?
It does seem that only more recent browsers are affected by the "Save image" issue, including Chrome and IE10, but not IE9. Thus IE9 appears to display the correct "Save to your computer" menu option regardless of screen resolution.
Might Ancestry provide a different set of browser files for Linux? However, as it seems to be only resolutions of 1024x768 and lower causing the problems, I guess it may well have displayed the "save to your computer" option irrespective of browser & OS.For no reason at all except for experimental purpose -of which I am fond - I decided to see how Ancestry behaved using a Linux operating system (Ubuntu version). I recently replaced Windows XP with Ubuntu on an old laptop to familiarise myself with the Linux o/s. Ubuntu comes with its own version of Firefox and so I went into my Ancestry account to see how it performed with the topic in hand. I can report it allows 3 options: 'save to person in your tree'; 'save to your computer'; & 'save to shoebox' (Resolution =1280x800). Make of that what you will but the more I use the Linux OS, the fonder I grow of its simplicity of use.
Well, this morning we had what has to be rated as one of their most useless replies - nothing on how soon we can expect the issue to be fixed, and back to telling me issue is most likely due to my browser settings, to try a different browser and to check out their help page on optimising your Ancestry experience.We've heard nothing further from Ancestry, and 2 minutes ago the issue had still not been fixed. We've sent a reminder and asked if they can say how soon we can expect a fix to be in place.
Hopefully though, you have discovered the cause, so they shouldn't take too long to fix it.
IF it has been passed on. Pauline's account of what has happened so far makes it plain that it is far from clear whether they have actually actioned it further up the chain or are just saying they might at some future point pass it on.
It still hasn't apparently. Having not received a promised email update, I rang again this morning and was told the issue was still with technical support who say they are unable to replicate the issue and cannot pass it on to the developers until they can.IF it has been passed on.
I wish you all the best with that, Pauline. My recent experiences of various 'customer helplines' is that they really, REALLY hope you'll give up. (And let them keep the amount you are in credit, if applicable)
Hmmm, not very good. Would you care to name and shame? Maybe we can avoid them in future, customers voting by not spending their money with them.
That might get the message across?
I was tempted to do so but 1. there are two processes that are still ongoing and I may be excessively annoyed and thus unfair and 2. this is probably not the place