Free Access does not seem to be working.Ancestry UK and Ireland records free this weekend 6 - 9th July.
It's working fine for me now - but Ancestry didn't give a start time, so maybe it wasn't live until noon.Free Access does not seem to be working.
I would suggest trying a different browser.It was working fine on Friday evening but now it makes me sign in and then says I have no trees!
You are saving the records to your own computer, aren't you? Otherwise you won't have access to them after midnight, GEDCOM or no GEDCOM.I will have to upload my Gedcom files from pre-Friday and then go through all hints again - reminder to self - save Gedcom files at end of EVERY session, not just at end of free period.
I just found an ancestor in the 1939 Register, by clicking on a leaf in my FTM program. But, I am wondering why there would be a "this record is officially closed" between what appears to be my 1st great aunt and her husband, assuming they are the correct people because I did not have her married name.
Her maiden name was Joyce, and there are three entries below hers, all named Joyce, one is probably her mother, given the date of birth of 1863 and another a brother; not sure about the third.
Is the Register listed by address? What are the odds that the mother and at least two adult children would be living together so many years later? And while I have leaf hints for the mother and brother, none list the Register, just the married sister.
The chances that people weren't where you would expect them to be on Registration Day are high - there was a war on!What are the odds that the mother and at least two adult children would be living together so many years later?
So it is most likely that the person blacked out was a son or daughter of my aunt and her husband, who could possibly still be living.
I don't believe it was used from 1948, although I may have written that it was. I subsequently read that it was only repurposed after identity cards were abolished.In 1948 the the 1939 register was used as the database for the NHS
Although the handwritten registers were used in some parts of the country until 1991 computerisation in other areas started about a decade earlier. I don't think I've ever seen an entry after 1988.People born less than 100 years ago who died before 1991 would have this fact noted in the database