Winksetter
LostCousins Member
Every now and again I lose patience with using Ancestry for DNA driven genealogy research. I have been researching for well over 20 years now looking for real family origins of various lines of my family. I must say that very little of this has been achieved with Ancestry although I like it and use it regularly and do not want to be without it but…..as a standalone tool it is less useful for researching tricky cases where the CM levels are low.
The frustration starts with the cut off for showing any DNA match, for showing shared matches (ridiculous), showing matching segments (so what), for refusing to show detailed match segment data. Quite apart from the pretty useless parentage information given.
I use Ancestry but always hope that I will find someone on another site who matches to the lines I am researching. This may in any case be true if they come for a lot of the world where Ancestry are not well represented.
Enough for now, but I cannot promise to go away forever!
The frustration starts with the cut off for showing any DNA match, for showing shared matches (ridiculous), showing matching segments (so what), for refusing to show detailed match segment data. Quite apart from the pretty useless parentage information given.
I use Ancestry but always hope that I will find someone on another site who matches to the lines I am researching. This may in any case be true if they come for a lot of the world where Ancestry are not well represented.
Enough for now, but I cannot promise to go away forever!