• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry DNA Relationship Message

LeonardM

LostCousins Member
On my main DNA matches page I have a match to Elizabeth of 8 cM putting her in a 5th- 8th cousin relationship.

This persons only shared matches with me are Joseph of 151 cM, a first cousin twice removed, the other Irene of 236 cM, a first cousin once removed. These two people are linked to me through my illegitimate maternal grandfather who fathered my illegitimate mother.

I cannot find a link to Elizabeth using her online tree linked to her DNA results and expanding on it. She also does not answer my messages although they have been marked as read.

On my Ancestry messages page for Elizabeth under “DNA relationship to (myself)” it states “Elizabeth is either not a DNA match or has not taken a DNA test”. Nowhere does it say Elizabeth is managing the test for someone else.

Can anyone give me an explanation to what this message means?
 
Is this is a new match? If not it's possible that the shared DNA is just below 8cM.

I suggest you contact Joseph and Irene and ask each of them about their match with Elizabeth - at the moment all you know is that it is at least 20cM - and also enquire about their shared matches with Elizabeth. If you can persuade Joseph and/or Irene to allow you to view their DNA results that would be ideal. Collaborating with cousins who have tested their DNA is the key to success.
 
Can anyone give me an explanation to what this message means?
It normally means that the person concerned is not in your list of DNA matches for one of the reasons given - either because you don't share enough DNA or because they haven't tested. So it's odd that this message is appearing for someone who is in your DNA match list.

Having checked this out in my own matches, I am wondering if something may be amiss at present, possibly because of the recent changes. If I click to view the profile of a match then it tells me how we are related, but if I click to send a message to the match, then I too get this message that they are not a match to me.

You could try reporting this to Ancestry, or just wait and see if it gets sorted in a few days.
 
It normally means that the person concerned is not in your list of DNA matches for one of the reasons given - either because you don't share enough DNA or because they haven't tested. So it's odd that this message is appearing for someone who is in your DNA match list.
Sorry for the briefness of my original reply - busy day!

What I was thinking of was the change in the minimum DNA match from 6cM to 8cM which took effect in 2020. If the match dated from prior to that date and was preserved because it had been added to a group, or annotated, then it might be between 7.5cM and 7.9cM, so would show as 8cM. Since the change came into effect a new match of less than 8.0cM wouldn't be reported.
 
I don't get that problem - I can send a message from the profile page of my matches.
There's no problem sending a message, but if you select a DNA match, then click from there to message that match, in the RH pane you get the message (as above) that the person is not a match. It doesn't stop you sending a message, but clearly the message is incorrect.

On the profile page, the DNA relationship is shown as expected.
 
There's no problem sending a message, but if you select a DNA match, then click from there to message that match, in the RH pane you get the message (as above) that the person is not a match
But I don't!

Whether I try to send a message via the profile page (which was how I interpreted your first post), or direct from the match it shows in the right panel that we are matched.
 
I've just checked that it works for me whether I log int0 an account that has a subscription or one that doesn't.
 
I've done some further experimenting and it's not happening with all matches, but definitely is with some. I haven't time at present to investigate what's different about these matches, but maybe it is to do with the revised 8 cM cut off.
 
OK, but that's wasn't what you said above, only that you could send a message from the profile page.
That's because I interpreted your post #3 in a way that you didn't intend - however I didn't realise this until your post #6. So in post #7 I explained about the misunderstanding and confirmed that I got the same result either way.
 
I've done some further experimenting and it's not happening with all matches, but definitely is with some. I haven't time at present to investigate what's different about these matches, but maybe it is to do with the revised 8 cM cut off.
I've now checked with someone who shares 7cM and I'm able to reproduce the problem. It's not necessarily anything to do with the latest update - I only have a handful of <8cM matches that I saved in 2020, and I haven't tried to message any of them since September 2020.
 
I've just tried with two 7cM matches and both show the relationship if I go to their profile page, but if I click to message them, then on the messaging page one shows the relationship and the other doesn't. So there's not a great deal of consistency!

With the one that does, I apparently messaged them back in 2018 (no reply!) so maybe that makes a difference? I guess understanding what makes the difference may depend on whether 'Elizabeth' is a match LeonardM saved from before the cut off changed, or not.
 
With the one that does, I apparently messaged them back in 2018 (no reply!) so maybe that makes a difference?
It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I've messaged them in the past of not. All of mine have Notes, which is why they were saved - none are in groups or starred.
 
Is this is a new match? If not it's possible that the shared DNA is just below 8cM.
Elizabeth joined June 2020. I would have put her into a category very soon after.

I suggest you contact Joseph and Irene and ask each of them about their match with Elizabeth
Easier said than done as I am apparently not the only one who has difficulties contacting matches or if successful, keeping the contact flowing. :(
 
Easier said than done as I am apparently not the only one who has difficulties contacting matches or if successful, keeping the contact flowing. :(
There's nothing to stop you sending messages to your matches, but there's never any guarantee that they'll respond. However I've had responses as much as 3 years after the original attempt, so stay optimistic - and send polite reminders every now and again. Remember that in most cases the reason your cousins don't respond is because they haven't seen your message.

Make sure the follow the advice in the Masterclass - if you don't you're almost certain to be disappointed.
 
Since the change came into effect a new match of less than 8.0cM wouldn't be reported.

I have checked my 6 -7 cM matches and have 6 common ancestors in this group, 3 in my maternal line, all 4C, (who I have ben able to place in my tree) and 3 in my paternal line.

I think raising the cut-off point to 8 cM has deprived users of useful matches.

No doubt, the low match would have something to do with sharing DND with only my maternal line? These matches have been useful in me being able build my maternal ancestor tree.
 
Back
Top