Not necessarily a good idea - it could be an expensive mistake.I think the lesson, learned the hard way, is never to tick the automatic renewal box.
The old price was £89.96, ie £99.95 less 10%; the new price is £107.55, ie £119.50 less 10%.So how much should someone on an existing 12 month UK subscription with loyalty discount and automatic renewal have paid?
I ask because despite having automatic renewals ticked and updating our card details in plenty of time, it didn't happen automatically, and we likewise discovered we had no active subscription when trying to view something. This was in October and now I'm wondering if our subscription was deemed to have lapsed, and we missed out on the concession.
Yes, at Findmypast you can still view the records you've previously viewed. But at Ancestry you can't - unless you've saved them to your own computer.I never automatically renew, in fact I never renew I always let the subscription lapse and wait for a better offer to come in. Not having access to new records for a month or so is no hardship, I can still view the thousands of records I have already seen and build a list of items to access when I can. The longer you wait the bigger the discount, best I had was 50%.
You'd do better to buy a World subscription at Findmypast.com.au because the price is the same, but their dollars are a lot cheaper.I did get a reminder for my renewal from FMP but it was so much more than last year's cost (under 50 USD for World subscription) that I did not feel that I could afford it when coupled with the disaterous fall in the value of the pound after the Brexit vote.
Note that it refers to reminders prior to renewals. This would tally with what I said about expiry reminders not being sent if auto-renew is not ticked.This is the relevant sentence about reminders: "We do send reminders prior to any renewal for a subscription to the registered email address advising of the pending payment, the first being sent 30 days prior to a subscription renewal and the last being approx 14 days prior to the renewal date."
This isn't necessarily the case - spam filters look more at the content than the sender. My newsletter emails are much more likely to be blocked if I use certain words and phrases, especially 'free' or 'xx% off'.I do get the regular emails from them announcing new data sets and so on, so it's unlikely the reminders would have ended up in my junk folder
Fine in theory, but emails don't always get that far - email providers may refuse to connect to a server that is sending suspicious mail, might send it back to the sender, or might accept it but then throw it away (the latter causing the most problems - see my comments in last year's newsletters).The way my junk mail preferences are set I should still have received the reminders so I don't know what happened to them.
I wish my local library had this accessAncestry via 'free' online access to my local library
I wish my local library had this access.