• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry and FindmyPast subs

It was for existing ones as well.
Oh groan. Well, I missed that one. Re 'stacking'. Have I understood right? If I subscribe to a really good special offer and already have an existing (much more expensive sub.), will the new special offer sub only take effect after my current expensive sub has come to an end? I've a feeling, judging by what Bryman said above, that that's not right. Perhaps some kind soul could explain things to me - so that I get the best possible deal in future - in very simple terms. I was going to say 'in words of one syllable' but I guess that's not poss.
 
If I subscribe to a really good special offer and already have an existing (much more expensive sub.), will the new special offer sub only take effect after my current expensive sub has come to an end?
Not necessarily - when you go outside the terms of an offer you do it at your own risk. Some people did get their fingers burnt.
 
I wonder whether those that got their fingers burned were purchasing Worldwide subscription when their existing subscription was only for Britain or perhaps had monthly subscription?

The reason I say this is I have an email from FMP which does suggest that existing customers can make use of the discount offers even when they have an existing "live" subscription.

I know from what I have read on other forums that those having issues are ususally trying to make use of discounts against Britain subscriptions when they actually had a Worldwide subscription. I've not heard of anyone losing an existing subscription when using the offers and there has been a lot of discussion on this on another genealogy forum over recent months, including in the last few weeks but these people did purchase the same type of subscription to the one they had.

That said, I did lose the remainder of a monthly subscription from the British Newspaper Archive when I purchased a discounted annual subscription last November, but that was sort of understandable since it wasn't the same type of subscription.

Its possible that FMP have changed the rules recent but it would have had to have been very recently from what I've read elsewhere.
 
Just FYI Ancestry.co.uk will be free this weekend. The text below is from their emailed notification.

*Access to the records in the featured collections will be free from 5 June at 00:01 until 7 June, 2015 at 23:59 GMT. After the free access period ends, you will only be able to view the records in the featured collections using an Ancestry.co.uk paid membership. To see a full list of the records in the featured collections, please click here.
 
Today I went into my a/c to cancel my (monthly, world) subscription so that it wouldn't renew automatically, and they offered me 3 months at the 1 month price!
This was ancestry.co.uk, so I don't know if the offer is across the board, or any other details but I thought it was a wonderful bargain. If anyone else has a subscription due to end, you might like to see if you're offered the same deal.

I cancelled my sub on 2 June and am still waiting for a great offer like the one raven got - or indeed any kind of offer. The website tells me that if I take out an annual sub now I'll have to pay £119.99, which is apparently a saving of £48. I'd be curious to know what other members are paying. Is one penny short of £120 really a good deal?
 
It's the current price (the saving shown is compared with a monthly subscription).

Whatever you decide to do, please use one of the Ancestry links in my newsletter!
 
Thank you for reminding me, Peter, of course I will. I still wish I'd managed to get a better deal. It's an awful lot of money but I can't manage without Ancestry. I'm already suffering from withdrawal symptoms but perhaps I'll wait just a wee bit longer all the same. Lucky folk who can use Ancestry at their local libraries.
l l
 
Too true, So I'll manage till the beginning of August, when I'll have been 'dry' for two whole months.
 
Too true, So I'll manage till the beginning of August, when I'll have been 'dry' for two whole months.
Gillian,do you have Fmp sub?
That's the one I couldn't be without.
I too am waiting for a good deal from Ancestry, hopefully it will be resolved before summer is over (I don't tend to do much research until the darker evenings) . I managed to get a good deal with fmp, but however hard I try, and follow Peter's very good training guides, I can't seem to get the results I do with Ancestry.
 
Yes, emjay, I do have FMP and have done for as long as it's existed and before that with 1837 something or other (can't remember previous name). Like you I couldn't do without it, even for the couple of months I've managed without Ancestry. AnneC, that makes two of us waiting hopefully. Perhaps Ancestry waits until the queue gets long enough and then produces an irresistible offer. I only hope it comes soon.
 
Strange how we prefer different 'navigation' systems. I actually find Fmp better than Ancestry, even if you are quite specific with search parameters,Ancestry seems to throw up thousands of 'unrelated' results to wade through. This is when I tend to fall asleep until my head hits the laptop!
 
Perhaps Ancestry waits until the queue gets long enough and then produces an irresistible offer. I only hope it comes soon.
Just received a mail from Ancestry offering UK subscription for £95.99, not quite what I wanted, but maybe tempting.....
 
Well, at least it's less than £119.99, which is the current sub. I hope I get the offer, too. As you say, it's not quite what you wanted, but ...
 
Maybe Ancestry have somehow gained access to the forum and are keeping an eye on the discussion
:rolleyes:
 
Hmm, quite a thought, trebor. I wouldn't be at all surprised. And if you're right, I hope I get my offer soon.

Are you listening out there, Ancestry? I hope so, because I miss you.
 
Back
Top