• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestor Numbers

AndyMick

LostCousins Star
As the forum has gone quiet, I thought I'd start a thread about the relative (pun not intended) numbers of ancestors on the censuses.
For my own tree.
In 1841 I have about 50% of the number I have in 1881.
In 1911 I have just under 30% of the number I have in 1881.

For my ONS
In 1841 I have just over 70% of the number I have in 1881.
In 1911 I have just over 120% of the number I have in 1881.

Just wondering how others compare?
I reckon my personal 1911 number is low and I'm thinking I might have to take out a subscription in the autumn to get more!
 
My tree's numbers from the Lost Cousins My Summary page:

1841 68%
1881 100%
1911 128%

AndyMick, I agree that your personal 30% in 1911 looks low. 1911 is such a fun census, too!
 
In 1841 I have 55% of 1881 number
In 1911 I have 113% of 1881 number
I have found that many cousins either died after the 1881 census or did not marry and have any family I could track, but still trying to track down some of my female cousins who married - not easy if records not online or family name is Smith, Taylor, Armitage :rolleyes:
 
My numbers are radically different.

In 1841 (England and Wales) I have 5.6% of my 1881 number (Scotland) or 85.7% of my 1881 number (England and Wales)
In 1911 (England and Wales) I have 9.4% of my 1881 number (Scotland) or 142.9% of my 1881 number (England and Wales)

Which of course is probably precise enough to work out the exact numbers for each :) I have absolutely no problem with people knowing how many I've added BTW.

PS. My 1881 (England and Wales) figure is only 6.6% of my 1881 (Scotland) number.
 
I'm happy to post actual numbers - what's the consensus?
In fact I'm happier to do that than solve Alexander's maths problems:confused:
1841: 310
1881: 607
1911: 172
That's the personal numbers, all in England.
Andy.
 
I'm happy to post actual numbers - what's the consensus?
In fact I'm happier to do that than solve Alexander's maths problems:confused:
1841: 310
1881: 607
1911: 172
That's the personal numbers, all in England.
Andy.

Hi Andy,

There's nothing wrong in publishing your numbers, but without doing the calculation its hard to compare with other peoples figures.

So for you, you have
1841: 310 51%
1881: 607 100%
1911: 172 28%

So unless a lot of your descendants in 1881 didn't get married or had children, your 1911 entries seem a bit low.
There is a program called FTanalyzer written by Alexander which should be able to help you identify who can be added to each census in LostCousins.
 
In case people aren't sure, the % calculation is as follows

Using Andy's figures as an example

Divide the 1841 figure by the 1881, 310/607 and then multiply that answer by 100 = 51%
Divide the 1881 figure by the 1881, 607/607 and then multiply that answer by 100 = 100%
Divide the 1911 figure by the 1881, 172/607 and then multiply that answer by 100 = 28%
 
Divide the 1841 figure by the 1881, 172/607 and then multiply that answer by 100 = 28%
Your copy and paste was too quick :oops:. Try this instead:
Divide the 1911 figure by the 1881, 172/607 and then multiply that answer by 100 = 28%
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tim
Which is why I put them in as percentages in the first case! Your calculations do match what I posted originally, except I rounded them a bit.

Yes I've used FTAnalyzer (see the FTA threads) - but found it easier (for me personally) to do similar things in the spreadsheet than to convert the GEDCOM to a form FTA understands. Others not so familiar with spreadsheet macros should indeed try FTA - it's excellent for this purpose.

Now, does anyone know a way of getting 1911 census piece and schedule numbers online without having a subscription to Ancestry or FMP? FamilySearch refers you to FMP. Currently I go to the library.
 
I have entered all of my direct ancestors and their siblings for each census, and this is what my percentages look like:
1841: 129%
1881: 100%
1911: 83%
 
I have entered all of my direct ancestors and their siblings for each census, and this is what my percentages look like:
1841: 129%
1881: 100%
1911: 83%

That's the sort of number pattern to be expected from direct ancestors - but if you add in descendants of the siblings you should be able to increase the later numbers - that's why Katie and I think our 1911 numbers are low.
 
Back
Top