AndyMick
LostCousins Star
Back in July, before the computer gremlins attacked, I created a rough computer model of how many ancestors you might expect to find given what you know about them already. This was prompted by some discussion on the forum of how many ancestors we had located. Tim's recent comment persuaded me to make it public in its current state even though the gremlins might not let me handle the feedback - we'll see!
The model is not very good, but gives an idea of where research needs to be concentrated. For example, I have considerably fewer folks in 1911 than the model suggests I should have.
I wrote it originally in VBA (in Excel) but I converted it to Javascript to run self contained in a web page - and consequently people with the requisite computer skills can look at it and see how rotten my code is - I mean can see how it could be improved
Talking of Alexander reminds me, the model is for England and Wales, although I don't think it would take much to adapt for the US - sorry Scots and Canadians, but you only have the one census on the system, so it's not my fault!
So, this is the link you've all been waiting for! (Lights blue touch paper and stands back!)
The model is not very good, but gives an idea of where research needs to be concentrated. For example, I have considerably fewer folks in 1911 than the model suggests I should have.
I wrote it originally in VBA (in Excel) but I converted it to Javascript to run self contained in a web page - and consequently people with the requisite computer skills can look at it and see how rotten my code is - I mean can see how it could be improved
Talking of Alexander reminds me, the model is for England and Wales, although I don't think it would take much to adapt for the US - sorry Scots and Canadians, but you only have the one census on the system, so it's not my fault!
So, this is the link you've all been waiting for! (Lights blue touch paper and stands back!)