I have received a copy of the will of my first cousin three times removed (Violet who as far as we knew lived her whole life in and around Manchester) Her executor, James S, is named as her son. Nothing unusual in that but this son is completely unknown to the family - not even to the grandson of the testatrix with whom I am in correspondence.
It appears that James S had his birth registered in London in 1918 and his mother's maiden name is given as "S" in the older index and "-" in the new index so I am assuming he was illegitimate. By 1939 James S was in Manchester where he married in 1940 and died in 1976. The dates on the 1939 Register and the death index agree the day of the month and the year for James S's dob but the month is June on one and "7" on the other. Not enough of a discrepancy to worry me unduly.
We know Violet married twice - her first husband (Fred W) died in France in 1918 and they had two children. The grandson is the son of one of these children. There are no children to the second marriage although Violet's second husband was a widower and she had a step-son who looked after her for several years ("whilst I have been so ill") and he inherited her house. Her biological children had emigrated to Australia by then.
I don't think the will was a fake as neither James S nor his wife were beneficiaries although Violet's step-son and biological children were - as was a hospital and a church and there are other very minor bequests. So who is James S?
I am thinking he may have been adopted or an illegitimate son we knew nothing about. I think I will have to get a copy of his birth certificate to ascertain his mother's first name and take it from there.
Luckily James S has an unusual combination of second forename and surname which has made things easier (only one in the index!) and I have also (I think) managed to trace his children and grandchildren and have an address to which I will write in the hope it is still current.
It appears that James S had his birth registered in London in 1918 and his mother's maiden name is given as "S" in the older index and "-" in the new index so I am assuming he was illegitimate. By 1939 James S was in Manchester where he married in 1940 and died in 1976. The dates on the 1939 Register and the death index agree the day of the month and the year for James S's dob but the month is June on one and "7" on the other. Not enough of a discrepancy to worry me unduly.
We know Violet married twice - her first husband (Fred W) died in France in 1918 and they had two children. The grandson is the son of one of these children. There are no children to the second marriage although Violet's second husband was a widower and she had a step-son who looked after her for several years ("whilst I have been so ill") and he inherited her house. Her biological children had emigrated to Australia by then.
I don't think the will was a fake as neither James S nor his wife were beneficiaries although Violet's step-son and biological children were - as was a hospital and a church and there are other very minor bequests. So who is James S?
I am thinking he may have been adopted or an illegitimate son we knew nothing about. I think I will have to get a copy of his birth certificate to ascertain his mother's first name and take it from there.
Luckily James S has an unusual combination of second forename and surname which has made things easier (only one in the index!) and I have also (I think) managed to trace his children and grandchildren and have an address to which I will write in the hope it is still current.