Pauline
LostCousins Megastar
I maybe missing something somewhere, and know that different companies do things differently, but I am puzzled as to why I am getting different amounts of matching DNA with the same people on different sites. I guess they may have done more than one test so the two sites may be not be comparing like with like, or is something else going on?
I did my autosomal test with Ancestry and have uploaded my results to FamilyTreeDNA and GEDmatch, and some of my matches at Ancestry also show up one or other of these sites.
For example, I have a match with person A on Ancestry and this shows our shared DNA to be 29.1cM across 2 DNA segments. At FamilyTreeDNA the match information says we share 74cM, with the largest block being 34cM. (As yet I can't work out where my relationship with A might be.)
As another example, at Ancestry I share 18.9cM across 2 DNA segments with person B, while at GEDmatch it is 31.9cM with the largest being 10.5. However, when I look at the details at GEDmatch it shows two segments of 9.6 and 8.7cM, and a more distant estimated relationship than on the one to many matches page. (B and I already knew we were 4th cousins.)
Can anyone help me understand the differences, please?
I did my autosomal test with Ancestry and have uploaded my results to FamilyTreeDNA and GEDmatch, and some of my matches at Ancestry also show up one or other of these sites.
For example, I have a match with person A on Ancestry and this shows our shared DNA to be 29.1cM across 2 DNA segments. At FamilyTreeDNA the match information says we share 74cM, with the largest block being 34cM. (As yet I can't work out where my relationship with A might be.)
As another example, at Ancestry I share 18.9cM across 2 DNA segments with person B, while at GEDmatch it is 31.9cM with the largest being 10.5. However, when I look at the details at GEDmatch it shows two segments of 9.6 and 8.7cM, and a more distant estimated relationship than on the one to many matches page. (B and I already knew we were 4th cousins.)
Can anyone help me understand the differences, please?