cfbandit
LostCousins Member
Hi all! Its been awhile since I hung out here so I hope you will forgive my absence here!
I have a sticky problem with an early family near Prestwold, Leicestershire. I am not hoping for help in finding additional people, but am wondering if I could get some assistance in seeing if I'm following the masterclass correctly because I can't seem to find people in it I know are there. I've got the original parish records from reading the unindexed images at FMP that have the baptisms of four children. In each, they are identified as children of John Heacock of Burton, which I've determined to be now called Burton on the Wolds, right next to Prestwold.
1. I used the IGI link to search for other members of the family in the IGI. I did not find any. So I then...
2. Went to Steve Archers site and found Prestwold, and found that it has a batch of 1947 entries from 1578-1836, so I tried the batch to find marriages. Didn't find any.
3. So then I tried the batch to find the baptisms that I know I have the parish records for. Also didn't find these.
It made me think there are two possible scenarios:
1. That the indexing in the IGI was really that bad and they're indexed wrong. I've tried all sorts of wildcard searches, first name only, last name only, city only, etc. and not found anything.
2. That I'm missing something, or not quite got it right
I used the parish locator and it identified a few other parishes in the area. But I wasn't sure if I should search them as well because I have the parish records and they are from Prestwold, not the other locations.
Parish Name Type, County, Country,OsRef Distance & Direction
=========== =========================== In Miles =========
Hoton P LEI ENG SK5722 0.6 0.0 North
Prestwold P LEI ENG SK5721 0.0 0.0
Rempstone P NTT ENG SK5724 1.9 0.0 North
Walton on the Wold P LEI ENG SK5920 1.4 116.0 East by S
Any advice would be most welcome! The two of us working on this case think we have a very good lead for this family being a generation of the right time period for our eighth great grandmother's parents and siblings. So we are very interested in fully developing the family, including a potential wife for the father listed.
And in the meantime, I'll keep learning how to read church Latin, lol...
I have a sticky problem with an early family near Prestwold, Leicestershire. I am not hoping for help in finding additional people, but am wondering if I could get some assistance in seeing if I'm following the masterclass correctly because I can't seem to find people in it I know are there. I've got the original parish records from reading the unindexed images at FMP that have the baptisms of four children. In each, they are identified as children of John Heacock of Burton, which I've determined to be now called Burton on the Wolds, right next to Prestwold.
1. I used the IGI link to search for other members of the family in the IGI. I did not find any. So I then...
2. Went to Steve Archers site and found Prestwold, and found that it has a batch of 1947 entries from 1578-1836, so I tried the batch to find marriages. Didn't find any.
3. So then I tried the batch to find the baptisms that I know I have the parish records for. Also didn't find these.
It made me think there are two possible scenarios:
1. That the indexing in the IGI was really that bad and they're indexed wrong. I've tried all sorts of wildcard searches, first name only, last name only, city only, etc. and not found anything.
2. That I'm missing something, or not quite got it right
I used the parish locator and it identified a few other parishes in the area. But I wasn't sure if I should search them as well because I have the parish records and they are from Prestwold, not the other locations.
Parish Name Type, County, Country,OsRef Distance & Direction
=========== =========================== In Miles =========
Hoton P LEI ENG SK5722 0.6 0.0 North
Prestwold P LEI ENG SK5721 0.0 0.0
Rempstone P NTT ENG SK5724 1.9 0.0 North
Walton on the Wold P LEI ENG SK5920 1.4 116.0 East by S
Any advice would be most welcome! The two of us working on this case think we have a very good lead for this family being a generation of the right time period for our eighth great grandmother's parents and siblings. So we are very interested in fully developing the family, including a potential wife for the father listed.
And in the meantime, I'll keep learning how to read church Latin, lol...