Charlie
Member
Soon after starting my family history research, pre-internet, I discovered that my direct line, four generations back, came from Warwickshire. Later research took me back to 1580s in the same county, when the records became unavailable, or illegible.
I was able to follow the records largely through four sources: the family history sections in Coventry Central Library and Nuneaton Library, Coventry Archives and Warwickshire Archives. The staff in all of these were both knowledgeable and helpful, regardless of how absurd my questions might seem. The sources also had the added advantage of me being able to print out copies of parish records, poor law records, school attendances, etc, etc.
The Warwickshire Libraries also had, when I left in 2006, free access to Ancestry and other resources. Both Coventry library and Nuneaton library had a range of documents not on film or the internet which provided clues and connections I'd not otherwise have seen, including research by other local people.
So, my suggestion is, don't depend entirely on the internet. If you're able, visit your local library and County Archives.
I was able to follow the records largely through four sources: the family history sections in Coventry Central Library and Nuneaton Library, Coventry Archives and Warwickshire Archives. The staff in all of these were both knowledgeable and helpful, regardless of how absurd my questions might seem. The sources also had the added advantage of me being able to print out copies of parish records, poor law records, school attendances, etc, etc.
The Warwickshire Libraries also had, when I left in 2006, free access to Ancestry and other resources. Both Coventry library and Nuneaton library had a range of documents not on film or the internet which provided clues and connections I'd not otherwise have seen, including research by other local people.
So, my suggestion is, don't depend entirely on the internet. If you're able, visit your local library and County Archives.