• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

A New Relationship Predictor for Genetic Genealogy

I've just had a quick play around with this and I'm not sure how much more helpful it is than other relationship predictors though I can see that their various graphs are showing an improvement. However, I tried it with one of my matches who is a documented half second cousin with whom I share 137 cM over 5 segments, and half 2C falls into the most likely group at 52.8%. However, my sister shares 322 cM over 11 segments with this cousin and half 2C falls into the lowest probability group at only 0.7%.

I then tried the sibling option where I could run the above search with the DNA details entered for both me and my sister. This time half 2C fell into the second most likely option at 20.6%.

I then tried an unknown match with whom I share 267/12 and my sister 206/9. On the search using both I came up with an 84.9% chance of the match being in the 2nd cousin group. For me alone it was the same group at 61.9% and for my sister the same group at 77.9%.

So where does that leave me? The 2nd cousin group includes 2C, 1C2R, Half-1C1R, Half-2G-Aunt/Uncle/Niece/Nephew, which is quite a range in itself, but from my experience with the known match, I can't necessarily rely on the most likely group being the right one. So I'm not really any more the wiser about my relationship with the unknown match than I was from the Ancestry predictions.

Anyway, that's my experience for what it's worth.
 
There was a paper about this around a decade ago. In practice there are usually other factors, such as age difference, that enable us to differentiate more confidently between close relationships which typically share a similar amount of DNA.
 
Back
Top