Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
I know we hear about fanciful connections claimed to past Royalty and assorted aristocrats, but did not expect to find such being claimed by one of my Ancestry Contacts. To set the scene it is a contact via my wife's Tree which I manage. The connection sprang from my wife's DNA test, but the other researcher -a lady who I will just call C - did not take a test, but we exchanged messages in early 2019 regarding possible connections mainly in Northamptonshire where my wife was born and C likewise. These earlier messages were quite straight forward and settled on some obscure 5th-8th cousin connection. There has been no communication since, but as we have guest status we do receive automatic notifications when she adds new additions to her Tree.
These are emailed to my wife who passes them to me and you should have heard her comments when she received one such yesterday, telling me I might have to take note of her royal connection but need not bow in her presence. My curiosity around I was eager to see what she meant so below is an copy of what she received (I have x'd out the non-royals)
5 people have been added:
Mary I Queen Stewart Queen of Scots (8 December 1542 - 8 February 1587)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
James VI King of Scot & England/ King of Great Britian James I of England and VI of Scotland. James VI King of Scotland James I Charl (19 June 1566 - 27 March 1625)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To date I have very politely asked 'C' to provide me with the evidence for making such a claim and eagerly await to hear what she has to say. In the past she has always responded and indeed I notice she states on her Tree page that 'she does respond to messages'. So hopefully will update in due course. Meanwhile I am sure my wife is enjoying every moment of her new found royal connections, and my damping down the fact that Mary was beheaded at Fotheringhay Castle (in Northamptonshire kindly note) had no effect. Of course her son James VI (later James I of England) fared better, particularly in Scotland, so will have to wait and see what C has to say, but somehow I doubt I will be convinced..but you never know
These are emailed to my wife who passes them to me and you should have heard her comments when she received one such yesterday, telling me I might have to take note of her royal connection but need not bow in her presence. My curiosity around I was eager to see what she meant so below is an copy of what she received (I have x'd out the non-royals)
5 people have been added:
Mary I Queen Stewart Queen of Scots (8 December 1542 - 8 February 1587)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
James VI King of Scot & England/ King of Great Britian James I of England and VI of Scotland. James VI King of Scotland James I Charl (19 June 1566 - 27 March 1625)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To date I have very politely asked 'C' to provide me with the evidence for making such a claim and eagerly await to hear what she has to say. In the past she has always responded and indeed I notice she states on her Tree page that 'she does respond to messages'. So hopefully will update in due course. Meanwhile I am sure my wife is enjoying every moment of her new found royal connections, and my damping down the fact that Mary was beheaded at Fotheringhay Castle (in Northamptonshire kindly note) had no effect. Of course her son James VI (later James I of England) fared better, particularly in Scotland, so will have to wait and see what C has to say, but somehow I doubt I will be convinced..but you never know
Last edited: